1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roadie Stories

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Sep 28, 2003.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Does anyone have any good roadie stories?

Here's a pic of my favorite roadie!
  2. Trevorus

Trevorus

it's like the song says: I'm my own roadie...

Or was it grandpa? I can't remember...;) :D
  3. enzyme

enzyme

Roadie? I can't afford such things.
  4. Osama_Spears

Osama_Spears

your mom is your roadie?
  5. Petebass

Petebass

How many roadies does it take to change a lightbulb?

2..... one, tchhhewwwww.
  6. Osama_Spears

Osama_Spears

Not getting it...is it an Aussie thing?:meh:
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Okay, here's my roadie story. When I was touring with the 'Bones about 15 years ago, we had this roadie that was a heroin addict. Most of the time he was scraping around looking for his next fix, but this one night he must have scored some tremendous stuff, and he was in a jolly good mood. In the middle of the first set, he jumps up on stage and starts playing air guitar along with the guitar player. Only thing is, he gets about 5 or 6 notes in, then starts nodding off. Then wakes up again maybe 15 or 20 seconds later, and starts playing again. The audience loves it, they think it's part of the show. By the end of the set he's a hero. The guitar player grabs his hand and raises it triumphantly as the other roadies help him off the stage. The crew captures the whole thing on videotape, and that's the only thing that kept him from getting fired the next day, 'cause they wouldn't let him haul any gear that night. After that he straightened out pretty good, they gave him a talking to and he got some help. That was a great crew, in this case they were protecting each other and that's kinda the attitude they had in general, whatever it takes to make sure we get through tomorrow's gig. It was one of the better crews I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Plenty of clownery to be sure, but they were a competent team.
  8. permagrin

permagrin

Roadies are awesome, at least the ones I dealt with in the only band I've been in that hired true roadies (about 10 yrs ago), big tough guys who worked for tours but helped us out when they were in town. They refer to you as "the talent", carry your stuff, mess with anyone who tries to mess with you, and work for beer, food, and a couch to sleep on. They made gigs be only the good parts with none of the crap. Ah, the good old days...
  9. Robbie Butler

Robbie Butler Guest

jeez ur roadies a bit of alrite :p
  10. pbd

pbd

Disclosures:
    owner Procables N Sound
    I was one of 10 on a 9 berth painted bus. We were touring with a musical but we could change the name on the window above the windshield. Just before pulling into a laudromat on our day off we scrolled in Van Halen and watched the gawkers line up to see who got off the bus. It made us feel better since we had just worked too many 18 hour days in a row.:D
  11. DeepDeath

DeepDeath

Looks like a future groupie to me. hahaha j/k bro.
  12. Big Al

Big Al

My Son, Craig, is Head Roadie with our Band. He can do it all, from Driving the Van, carrying heavy loads, setting Drums and P.A. up, to grabbing Guitars with broken strings, handing the spare guitar over, and having the new string fitted and tuned up on a digital tuner, before the end of the song, ready to hand back. Anyway, we play this Gig in our Home Town, notorious for a Manager who says ALL Rock Bands are too loud. We soundcheck, and the Manager says "don't you think you should turn it down?" Road Crew point to Craig, and say "Ask him" Manager asks Craig the same question. Craig walks past him, sticks his head in the Bass Bins of a 10k P.A. rig and says "no". Manager says "are you sure?" and Craig motions for us to turn it up, sticks his head in the Bass Bins again, and says "no". Manager says "well, must be o.k. if he can do that" and disappears into the cellar. We wipe the blood from our ears, and join in the laughter with the Road Crew as we buy Craig a pint. He is the perfect roadie, because he has been deaf since Birth! (Digital Tuner was the clue) He can lip-read brilliantly, and talk almost perfectly, so this type of thing happens regularly, and makes being on the Road even more of a laugh.
  13. Osama_Spears

Osama_Spears

Looks like he copes with his "disability" well...

Sorry to hear that he's deaf though:(
  14. Sonorous

Sonorous

that got quite a laugh from myself and my girlfriend
  15. The Bassmaniac

The Bassmaniac

tchhhewwwww = ( t )is` you!

:)
  16. Petebass

Petebass

:D and here I was preparing to warn you against the dangers and maybe post something about the value of ear plugs........