1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roadready modification for 3015s

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by virginiacreeper, Jan 5, 2014.

1. virginiacreeper

virginiacreeper Supporting Member

So, I'm picking up an empty Mesa RR 215 today and have a couple of Eminence 3015s (non LF) I'd like to throw in there. I understand a larger port area is optimal to match these speakers to this cabinet. Is anybody familiar with a way to do this without completely dismantling the cab? I imagine an additional port hole/tube set up.
    Thanks!
  2. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I'm doing the same thing on a RR115 - I used a Rotozip tool and wood cutting blade for the cut across the baffleboard, and finished that cut to the edges with a new drywall saw... I pretty much busted out the "uprights" with a framing hammer, and am in the process of making what I need to increase my port area to 3" high... I'll then experiment with the length of the port for best response... The process isn't for the faint hearted, btw - but is doable for someone with decent carpentry and mechanical skills...

I'm using a Kappa-15LFA instead of a 3015, but AFAIK, they act fairly similar...

- georgestrings
  3. virginiacreeper

virginiacreeper Supporting Member

Thanks. I've built a couple of TL-606 cabs, so I could redo the Mesa but I was hoping to do something less invasive and possibly more reversible. Wouldn't adding circular ports provide additional port area without having to reconstruct the cab?
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

IIRC the Mesa uses shelf ports? Mixing shelf and round ports usually doesn't end well. Use one or the other.
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I put 3015's in my Mesa Diesel 115 boxes.
    That worked really well, with no mods.
    They are shelf ports, like a TL606, and they are designed to be "tunable" via shutting the center portion of that. Which I never tried.

I think the RR is essentially the same box.