1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Roadready modification for 3015s

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by virginiacreeper, Jan 5, 2014.

1. virginiacreeper

virginiacreeper

Dec 9, 2009
    Denver
    So, I'm picking up an empty Mesa RR 215 today and have a couple of Eminence 3015s (non LF) I'd like to throw in there. I understand a larger port area is optimal to match these speakers to this cabinet. Is anybody familiar with a way to do this without completely dismantling the cab? I imagine an additional port hole/tube set up.
    Thanks!

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I'm doing the same thing on a RR115 - I used a Rotozip tool and wood cutting blade for the cut across the baffleboard, and finished that cut to the edges with a new drywall saw... I pretty much busted out the "uprights" with a framing hammer, and am in the process of making what I need to increase my port area to 3" high... I'll then experiment with the length of the port for best response... The process isn't for the faint hearted, btw - but is doable for someone with decent carpentry and mechanical skills...

I'm using a Kappa-15LFA instead of a 3015, but AFAIK, they act fairly similar...

- georgestrings

3. virginiacreeper

virginiacreeper

Dec 9, 2009
    Denver
    Thanks. I've built a couple of TL-606 cabs, so I could redo the Mesa but I was hoping to do something less invasive and possibly more reversible. Wouldn't adding circular ports provide additional port area without having to reconstruct the cab?

4. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

IIRC the Mesa uses shelf ports? Mixing shelf and round ports usually doesn't end well. Use one or the other.

5. Sponsored by:

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I put 3015's in my Mesa Diesel 115 boxes.
    That worked really well, with no mods.
    They are shelf ports, like a TL606, and they are designed to be "tunable" via shutting the center portion of that. Which I never tried.

I think the RR is essentially the same box.