Rob Amster

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Fred Hammon, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

I've got to give Rob his due here...
    ...and Kurt Elling as well. The studio version from "Night Moves" is much better as far as Elling goes. Rob kills in both versions.
    This song "The Waking" is from a poem by Theodore Roethke (1908 – 1963) of the same name.

(turn the sound up!)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=tGbGUhYe0Ts
    [​IMG]
  2. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Bresque Basses, rep: Paulin EUB
    "amazing wif only a cello"

;)
  3. jbass65

jbass65 Supporting Member

I guess rob passed away this week! Posted on Kurts FB....Don't know any details yet but a big disappointment and very sad:(:thumbdown:
  4. isolated

isolated

Unlikely that details will be forthcoming, and I think that's for the best. Two very thoughtful memorials here and here.
  5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

I've known Rob for many years as a colleague and strong force on the Chicago jazz scene. We are on many recordings together including a cut on Kurt Elling's first album where he plays BG and I play DB. We also shared bass duties during the first years of Kurt's career and subbed for each other in many other situations. As you know, Rob was a fine bassist, always laying it down the right way with a beautiful sound and great notes and time. He was one of the first guys I would call to sub for me on my steady gig at Catch 35.

Rob kind of disappeared from active bass duty a couple of years ago and we hadn't been in touch. I'm very sad that Rob has left us so soon, but unfortunately, maybe not before his time. His struggles are now over and he can rest in peace.
  6. isolated

isolated

Indeed. Rob's passing has been haunting me since I was informed last week. I'm still not sure how much of that comes from just the shock of his death or a feeling of "there but for the grace of god go I," or both.... Wherever he is, I hope it's a better place.
  7. JAS

JAS

RIP Rob
  8. MotionDevotion

MotionDevotion

Here's a GREAT clip of Rob Amster with Kurt Elling at the 1995 Red Sea Jazz Festival:
  9. MotionDevotion

MotionDevotion

from a KURT ELLING e-mail:

With Dave Jemilo's help, Mike Amster and I are putting together a gathering of souls to celebrate Rob Amster on January 5, at The Green Mill, beginning at 1pm. Mike and Rob's mom Cynthia want it to be a celebration. It's not settled how it will work yet, but Mike is hoping Rob's friends will play some notes. I guess I'll be sussing out a core trio and then cats can rotate themselves in. If you really want to play, please send me an email & I'll cover it.
  10. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

This afternoon's memorial celebration of Rob Amster's life was a success, drawing many of Rob's friends and musical colleagues to the Green Mill on a cold and snowy day here in Chicago. There were numerous tributes to Rob and some good music by some of Chicago's finest including Kurt Elling, Howard Levy, Dave Onderdonk, John McClean, Kelly Brand, Fred Simon, Sarah Allen, Jeff Stitely, Jeremy Kahn, Dennis Luxion, Pat Mallinger and others. Bassists included Kelly Sill, Stewart Miller, Rich Armandi and myself.

Rob's bass shared the stage with us all afternoon.

I know I felt a sense of closure that had been absent until today. Once again, rest in peace, Rob!