Rob Trujillo's super fast slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

I don't mean slap and pop, I mean this guy can literally hammer the strings with his thumb so fast. How does he do that? The two solos in Send Me Your Money are the best example (first one is 100% thumb). It's much harder than it looks. I find to slap close to that fast, I have to vertically move my wrist.
  2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Sounds like a bunch of hammer ons followed by a pluck over and over.

so, open slap, left finger hammer on, and a quick pluck...repeat and change notes. :)
  3. Tupac

Tupac

The second one is, but the first one is all thumb. I play a lot of Rob stuff, he really likes the "slap, hammer on, open string slap, repeat" combo, and I think that's it.

IE:

-7h9------------------------
    ------0-7h9-0-5h6-------5--
    -------------------5h7-x----
    ----------------------------
  4. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Man, that solo was a long time ago. I don't think Rob does that kind of playing anymore. I read in an article with him when he left Ozzy to play in Metallica. He was asked who he thought slapped better, him or Flea. He said probably Flea since he really doesn't slap anymore.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tupac

Tupac

That's a pretty ballsy question for an interview. I think he was just being humble though, he's still got it. He took the stage with Suicidal in July and played some Infectious Grooves, there's videos of it on Youtube.

Also, I just discovered this video a few minute ago. He noodles with some hyper slap and then shreds a bit unplugged.
  7. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure that both solos in the OP use thumb-hammer-pop or thumb-hammer-hammer-pop combinations. Nothing magic there. Use software to slow it down to half or quarter speed (I use amazing slowdowner) and you should be able to hear what he's doing.
  8. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

I've found using your thumb and pinky and twisting like you're opening a door knob get lightning fast
  9. Tupac

Tupac

Bumping this. I CANNOT figure out how he plays Monster Skank. That slapping is way too fast. I can't even play the studio version, and he effortlessly upped the tempo at least 5% live, crazy. Here is a closeup of him playing it courtesy of yours truly. There are open Es between all those pops too.
  10. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Honestly, I loved Suicidal Tendencies back in my High School days. But, I have a hard time listening to Metallica with Rob on bass. It is "overkill" with him monster five string bass lines. I much prefer Metallica when they had a metal/punk edge with Burton and Newstead. Either give Rob a permanent four string or kick him the f#%§ out!
  11. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Que? Newsted played/plays 5ers all the time.