Robbed at Gun Point Last Night

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RadioactiveGuy4, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

Yeah so...

My buddy and I were in the parking lot of my practice cleaning up some glass last night when 2 guys walked up to us and robbed us at gun point. They got my pocket knife, my buddies cell phone and his wallet.

It was pretty scary stuff. I have never had a gun put in my face before. It could have been worse. They missed my wallet which was pretty lucky. We both made it out without being hurt. They asked if I had keys to my practice space and I said no, so no gear was stolen. But my buddy is flying out tomorrow and now has no ID.

The cops were called and they made a pretty impressive show of force to look for these guys but as far as I know they didn't find anyone yet.

Long night...
  2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Holy smokes!

Glad you are ok dude, them missing your wallet wasn't lucky, not being hurt was lucky!

Hope they catch the scumbags, can your friend contact the airline re-no ID and explain the issue? I'm sure they'll be able to confirm it with the police?
  3. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

Yeah we are making all the phone calls today. From searching online it looks like if you have a police report they should let him fly but they take it case by case so its not a sure thing.
  4. blastoff99

blastoff99

Wow.

So glad you and your buddy are ok. Wallet contents and a cell phone are a pain to replace, but you're alive.

Perhaps time to move practice locations? At the very least, any chance you can get the stuff out of there for the next few days? I wouldn't be too surprised if these individuals try to make their own way in.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If it was me I'd be camping out in the practice space with my old Ithaca slug gun, hoping they would try to get in.
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Wow, good thing you're safe. I always worry about that because I know I'd never be able to defend myself in that situation. Then again you're better off just handing things that can be replaced over rather than getting yourself killed.
  8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

yeah,... i feel your pain! :(

a guy put a gun in my face trying to steal my truck. this idiot actually tried to shoot me, but his gun jammed! i hit the pavement and crawled to my house and called the cops. he got caught, i showed up in court, he went to prison!:hyper:
  9. IGotGas

IGotGas Cajun Rocker

1911. You're welcome.

Seriously, I'm so glad you guys are ok!!!
  10. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

I kept thinking in my head "if only I had a gun on me" but in reality they were up on us so fast that I doubt I would have been able to draw on them with out them opening fire on me.

As these things go It really was the best out come possible. Its just a serious wake up call to pay attention to your soundings.
  11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Wow...glad to hear you are OK.....

That had to be scary
  12. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Banned

In order for deadly force to be justified there must be an immediate, otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily harm to yourself or other innocents. Deadly force is that force which could reasonably be expected to cause death or grave bodily harm. Glad it went favorably for you.
  13. Monkey

Monkey

As a fellow Daytonian, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I've been lucky so far, but a few of my musical buddies have been robbed after gigs, some at gunpoint. My guitarist of many years had two cars stolen while we were on stage in the Oregon District.

I'm really glad you're safe.
  14. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

This is true and when some rolls up on you with a gun pointed at you that falls under that description.

I was raised by a cop and was taught to always be mindful of what's around you and I have made a point to keep an eye out for people who look like they don't belong or are up to no good. For the most part this part of town is quiet but not great. But I never felt unsafe.

I should have locked the gate to the parking lot is what it comes down to and its a mistake that will not be made again.

As far as my buddy goes, he's visiting from out of town and was going to fly back tomorrow but he has decided to stay a few day longer so he can help the cops and give him some time to get some ID. The airline was very understanding of what happened and has taken care of his flight. However the rental car place is really trying hard to screw him over. He told them what happened and that he cant drive the car with out his license which was stolen and they pretty much said that he needs to provide a credit card (which was stolen and canceled) to extend his rental other wise he has to have the car back tomorrow. no ifs, ands, or buts. :mad:
  15. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4

OH! Thanks for all the support guys. Its nice to have a place to spill your woe's.
  16. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Glad to hear you are safe!!!
  17. scorpionldr

scorpionldr

Sorry to hear. Bit of advice. Get a permit to carry. Maybe if you had a piece of your own they'd either bounce off to someone else, or hey, at least you're protected.
  18. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Or they would have stolen his gun too.
  19. naetog

naetog

This is a good point. However, simply having a gun is different than knowing how to use one.

Get a firearm that is comfortable for you and take a class to learn how to use it. Go to a shooting range and try different handguns, or find friends who have some different ones you can try.

A lot of people get caught up in 9mm vs .40 cal, etc. If you can't hit your target under pressure, then it really doesn't matter does it? Comfort and confidence is more important IMO.

I took a course at Front Sight (amazing place to go if you are in/near Nevada) when I first got a gun and it was the best thing I could have done.

Learn how to use your gun, and in what context you are legally able to.

Knowledge is great. Confidence is better.
  20. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    In a shootout at a distance a trained firearm owner has the advantage, but when the other party already has their weapon drawn and aimed there's not much you can do. Especially if they're already at close range.

OP, glad you guys are ok.
  21. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

No offense, but that's got to be the worst advice I've ever heard.

If the OP had a 'piece' of his own, had drawn it and tried to use it... he might have been killed.

Morons who go around pointing guns at someone aren't gonna think twice about using them if they find themselves with a potential victim who impulsively attempts to go for a 'piece' in self defense.

Think about it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.