1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Robert Deleo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by big empty, May 2, 2006.

1. big empty

big empty

What do you guys think of him?

I totally dig the fact that he played old Fenders with flatwound strings and had a lot of songs with really colorful, soulful basslines (Wonderful, Sour Girl, Big Empty) and others where he rocked out.
  2. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I think he's a very good player and I also dig his writing! Robert and his brother have a new band called Army Of Anyone that I look foward to hearing.
  3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Robert DeLeo is an amazing player and musician. Love his sound through the old Marshall tube head! His signature Schecter basses are great instruments as well.
  4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Robert is one of my favorite bassist and song writters , he makes those Schecters sound mighty nice. :bassist:
  5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Disclosures:
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The hook on "Plush" alone makes him that dude.
  6. The Lurker

The Lurker

He's a f'n great one..... Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart is a real butt-buster to get right, too.

PS not to nitpick, but he didn't use an old fender THAT much....he also has a thing for old POS short-scale hollowbody basses with flats on them.
  7. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

Great player. Maybe one of my latest influences.
    He´s a bit underrated in general and overrated here at TB.

He´s a great musician who plays bass and is also a good composer. "Tripping ....", "Plush" and "Interstate love song" are among my fav bass lines. Besides I really dig his fat, round tone.
  8. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

I've never found Robert Deleo to be overrated. Amazing player with tone that sits in teh mix perfectly for his band. He cna write a damn good pop song too.
  9. Deadworks

Deadworks

I've always dug Rob's playing. Good fat tone, not super fancy but throws some tasty licks in there from time to time. Man this thread is going to make me dig through my cd's and find my STP cd's so I can listen and learn some tonight. It's been a while since I've listened to them.
  10. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    +1.

When I first worked out Plush, I became an instant Robert DeLeo fan. Great stuff.
  11. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I sure do miss the Pilots ...

Anybody familiar with the "Talk Show" disc the rest of STP put out with a different singer when Scott was having his legal issues? Excellent record - kind of sounds like STP backing up a McCartney style vocalist.
  12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

I think I like the Instrumentation better then the vocals on that project , I am really looking foward to hearing the new band the Deleo Brothers are in " Army of Anyone" :bassist: