Robert "Pops" Popwell

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lbwdog, Nov 24, 2007.

1. lbwdog

lbwdog

Has anybody heard anything recently about him?

My first exposure to Pops was in '72 on The Rascals "Island Of Real" album. That record also featured a young Buzzy Feiten who played one of my favorite funky licks on "Jungle Walk".

2. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Last I heard, he was a preacher down south with his own church. +1 on those last Rascals albums, some great music that really never found a audience. Buzzy Feiten is one of my favorite guitar players, another way-underrated player, his work with Neil Larson was outstanding!

3. acleex38

acleex38

Nothing recent. Sorry...REALLY wish I could help. My first exposure to Popwell was stuff with the Crusaders. When I first got into them, almost all of my favorite stuff was from the albums with Popwell on them (Those Southern Knights, Southern Comfort).

4. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    those southern knights is killin--got it on vinyl

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

I recently did a google search on the church I last remember him being at. Came up empty?? I got to see him preach a couple of times back in the 90's. There he was in all his preacher get up playing the tar out of his old P bass. I talked with him at length after the service. He was the kindest man, and the rest of his small congregation made me feel like I belonged. Fast fwd a year or two, and I again stopped in to see him. I was humbled to see not only did he remember me and where I was from, but the rest of the congregation did as well. I've never been a very religious person, but I've never felt more spiritually fulfilled as I did on those two occasions. Thanks Rev. "Pops" Popwell.

7. lbwdog

lbwdog

I lived in Macon, GA for a while around '73. My band and another had rented an old three story house where we all lived and rehearsed. One night, after going out, I returned home to find lot's of cars parked in front and wondered what was going on. I went upstairs to the music room where we rehearsed and there were some members of Boby Womack's band plus Buzzy Feiten jamming! Buzzy was playing through an old Bassman piggy back with the speakers turned toward the wall.
    He was in town to play on Gregg Allman's "Laid Back" album.

Turned out to be an memorable night!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pops rules! I'm sure he's happier being out of the game, but I sure do miss his playing.