Robot Factory Pulse Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CHILDISHGAMBINO, Feb 4, 2013.

1. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Anybody have one of these? It seems like it would be fun. They're one sale for 150 from Moog. I'm thinking of picking one up and I'm interested in any opinions/thoughts on it. Thanks.

2. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I haven't tried that but I can vouche slightly for the Robot Factory stuff. I got my Brain Freeze for $150 from Moog. It's the best expression controlled filter I've ever seen. So awesome. Should have been twice the price.

3. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Too bad they don't have the Brainfreeze anymore. I would love to have a really nice filter or a wah that doesn't suck doo doo. They have a buttload of stuff on sale at Moog right now. My birthdays coming up and while I'm pretty happy with my board right now I'm always looking for new stuff to mess with. Especially weirder things like the pulse synth. I'm torn between this thing or trying another wah out. I know that they are 2 completely different things but either one would give me a toy to fiddle around on and that's all I'm lookin for. Wouldn't mind trying a noisebox either.... Too many choices.

4. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Disclosures:
    Various C-titles: Nordstrand Pickups
    Damn, all the Robot Factory stuff is going cheap there.

$150 for a Tentacle Love! Almost tempted to buy a backup...

7. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

I didn't like the Pulse Square Synth as much as I thought. It is a neat toy though.

8. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

That demo is definitely crackly. @Delta did your pulse synth sound like it needed more gate or was it not bassy enough? I play once a week with a drummer and a keyboard player just for fun so I can use pretty much anything and get away with it. I have and am happy with all more basic sounds I like and I'm just looking for something different to play with. I don't really think of effects as toys but I don't really look at effects as I need this and this to do this. I'm more of a ok I have this, now what can I do with it kinda guy. So in a way they're a lot like toys. Anyway I was thinking of getting something synthy to mess with or a filter or something. I just stumbled upon the pulse synth because of the price.

9. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

It was just underwhelming. I like a good fuzz and filter more than the pulse synth. It wasn't as synthy as I hoped, bottom line.

10. Shish

Shish

That's my demo video, lol. It's really crappy, and Pulse Synth is not as bad as I made it sound :) I found that it's much more controllable if I play on neck pick-up with volume rolled out. I believe it would be easier to use PS with passive bass as opposite to my MM Bongo.

Pulse Synth on bass is pretty much one trick pony. It can do square wave and if you set "pulse" on maximum it doesn't cut low end much. But I would definitely suggest putting a filter after it to bring more character. Otherwise I afraid you can be lost in a mix. But this can be said for pretty much all analog synth pedals I played, like Dwarfcraft Robot Devil.

I'd say that the best application for Pulse Synth is playing synthy lead parts with PWM. I would also love if I could control sweep with expression pedal.