Rochester

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by dude1234, Nov 26, 2013.

1. dude1234

dude1234

Who was in the finals?
    Heard about 100 people showed up, 23 in semis, 6-8 in finals?

2. Indybass091

Indybass091

Every day I'm hustling. We all need to keep hustling. I bet the winner of the audition hustles.

3. Jordan M

Jordan M

Every time I take a break from hustling, I think about how there are other people hustling while I'm taking a break and how they're getting better at hustling than I am.

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

I'll bet he practiced, too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    I don't have any information about the audition or it's "fairness", but I just think it's awesome how we have all these great basketball superstars posting with a join date of November!

TBDB is on the Map!!!:hyper::hyper::hyper:

BG
    :ninja:

7. salcott

Maybe they all live under the same bridge.

8. atrombs

atrombs

I'm not one that is against auto advancing. The only thing that was really unfair about this whole situation is that the winner was given a "practice round." This is not his fault necessarily and this doesn't argue his ability. However, I would guess many of the applicants in the audition did not have a "practice" round before the Prelims or Semi's and it seems unfair to me that the winner was given that luxury. That being said, I say congratulations to him for winning the position and congratulations to all who took the audition and advanced.

9. masterofbass

masterofbass

10. salcott

I know the guy who got the gig. He's paid his dues and deserves the job.

11. iplaybass1997

iplaybass1997

For those of you who didn't win the job and are complaining, I'm sorry that you spent so much money on the audition. It's really too bad, but that's the life you chose! Every audition you take should make you a better player and audition taker. Whether it's improvements with one excerpt or 25... the fact remains, there will be improvement. Take the experience and build upon it, rather than get your panties in a bunch. Oh yeah, there's always the approach of playing better next time (maybe everyone will be complaining about YOU!)

12. Dr_Atomic

Dr_Atomic

13. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

I just updated it, but I never found the name of the winner in Rochester.

If you want access to the wiki, you need to contact the admin (paul) directly for an account. Apparently malware and ads were being added to the wiki before it was password protected.

14. salcott

Try the RPO website.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    No.

Talkbass will not provide a platform for anonymous users, who risk nothing by posting, to spread rumors which may impugn the reputations of real people with actual names. This sort of thing simply isn't going to happen here.

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Media:
    Troll posts and posts quoting same have been removed from this thread. I apologize that it no longer makes sense, but that's what happens when trolls take over a thread. All future troll posts to this thread will be removed, so actual contributing members are advised to please report any that you see.

17. filrich

filrich

I think people have a right to know what actually goes down at auditions. It is unfortunate that certain, immature, contributions taint what could serve as a great outlet for information about our small world. Honestly, who outside of the "bass world" cares about what goes on in our profession? No one.

The people that care are the ones who love what we do and shell out their hard earned cash to participate in these auditions.

I guess when moderating turns to censoring, I reckon it is time to move on.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Media:
    Here is the scenario that was presented:

Anonymous posters with ridiculous fake screen names posted all sorts of unsubstantiated rumors here and pot-stirring material in this thread, with no offer to stand behind it or back it up. The admin team had to make a judgement call and made it. If anybody who has the fortitude to stand behind their posts would care to post about what happened at this or any audition, they have an engraved invitation to do so, as always. But fake basketball player screen names talking anonymous trash about the careers of real life bass players on the audition circuit will be treated in the manner that they deserve: as pot stirring trolls who sling mud while hiding behind the safety of their anonymity. If this is what's being referred to as censorship, then so be it.

Ed Fuqua likes this.
  19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to de-rail but I have to ask, do DB players actually spend money for these auditions or are we just referring to travel costs a person might have incurred?

20. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

Each of the auditions I have taken cost a little over $1000 in air fare, taxis, and accommodations. Granted, these were international trips, but I think most people spend at least $500 for domestic auditions if they have to travel.

21. phillybasswanab

phillybasswanab

Hey! Maybe you guys don't know me. I'm Mike Fuller. Not so important though. There were actually 9 finalist for this audition. I was one of the young guys who "wasted" a lot of money to take this audition. Lol No waste at all. Am I allowed to disclose my failures here? It really doesn't bother me.
    I was one of the 6 finalists who did not get asked to play a "Super Final" round. There were 3 "Super finalist" I find that funny. Guess they had a tough time deciding who to place in a normally sized final round. 9's a bit much. I'm not complaining. But hey it was my first audition and it was an awesome experience!
    It hurt at first for like an hour or two when I had my " not so victorious" dinner with my ESM friends at #StickyLips! Or seeing my teachers texts saying win win! Getting closer and closer just to here...oh I didn't win. Tisk!
    That older guy was nice. The winner. What was interesting about him was how reserved he was. Me and some younger guys were shredding out some Heldenleben, Last mvt of Mozart 39, Mahler 2, Mozart 40. The FINAL ROUND Rep. This guy, the older guy who won, he just goes toot. Toot toot. Haha I'm like "hmm..." in my mind. But hey idk. While we were waisting our energy maybe he was saving it. Blah whatever. First thing in the morning, I called, emailed and facebook,d the panel and requested feedback and they were super nice and got right back to me. Even got a long phone call from Mike G. Was an awesome experience, though I might start getting a knot in my stomach after losing the bazillionth audition. So let's hustle boys! And galz!

coldtrain, salcott and PaulCannon like this.