1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rock bass in the $200-$450 range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlakeMoney, Nov 28, 2013.

1. BlakeMoney

BlakeMoney

Looking to upgrade to my second bass, my band plays rock but I also want to play some funk. Willing to spend from $200 to $450
  2. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Squier VM or CV Precision or Jazz. Great instruments within the price range.
  3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Sterling SUB in the $250-300 range, good for rock and funk and you get to save a few bucks.
  4. pudgychef

pudgychef

+1 to the CV/VM Squiers or the SUB -

In your price range you could easily get a used ATK - great rock/funk bass
    OR
    a used USA Made SUB from the original MusicMan SUB line...GC usually has a couple or more on their site - killer basses (ime, imho, ymmv)
  5. McFarlin

McFarlin yep Supporting Member

Getting a lot of mileage out of my Squier VM Jazz. You can pick up a used piece for $175-225. Best budget bass I have encountered and I get a lot of tone compliments. Works for most rock-oriented work I have done lately. I like it almost as much as my custom piece that cost 10x more. Can get a pretty gnarly tone from it with the right technique, and a warm/smooth/fat sound from all neck pickup. Good pickups in this thing.
    Easy fingertapping & slap.
    Not my preference for fast runs & prog. stuff.
    Bridge certainly isnt the best, tuners are okay
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I finally drank the TalkBass Kool-Aid and got a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz. Now I know why there's so much love for them 'round these parts.

But wait! There's more!!

Ever since the summer I had a burning question on my mind; "What has Best Buy had done with all their overstock when they finally closed up their Musical Instruments department?" I even called a number of stores across the nation to see if they had anything worthwhile left. They all said they'd shipped whatever was left back to Distribution. Well, someone here on TB answered my question.

"They put their overstock up on their eBay page at a significantly reduced price!"

So, I'm officially recommending the aforementioned Classic Vibe Jazz. Smooth tones, and yet growly/snarly depending on the attack you play with (even before I put some light .40-.100 Elixirs on it).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Squier-Clas...e-/200977999346?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ecb38e5f2