Rock guy looking to learn some Jazz - what should i start listening too?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Da Funky Fish, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Da Funky Fish

Da Funky Fish

Hi,

i am thinking of learning how to read music (have not done since high school) and also take jazz lessons after the holidays. I am a rock guy so I was wondering if anyone can suggest jazz artists or groups i need to start listening to. Im assuming I'd benefit from saturating myself with it and I do good when listening to tracks on my headphones during my boring commute. I really get tunes I am into in my head that way, weird but it works.

Thanks!
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

3. cloverkeys

cloverkeys

There are a lot of different styles of jazz to consider.

However, Steely Dan is sort of a rock progressions meet jazz harmony type of band.
    Check out the album Aja and Gaucho.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

My first JAZZ album was Chick Corea's Light As a Feather.
    It was a gift from one of my music buddies.
    He told me , you know there is more to music than just ROCK.
    It took me a whole year to digest that album.
    Got me hooked on JAZZ.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

For electric stuff:

Jean Luc Ponty
    Billy Cobham
    Spyro Gyra
  7. MontzterMash

MontzterMash

Fun!

For me, it was:

Charles Mingus
    Stanley Clarke
    Dave Brubeck
    Lee Ritenour (my first jazz concert ever: saw him with Melvin Lee Davis on the 6 String Theory tour - wow)
    Lee Morgan
    Cannonball Adderley
  8. DirtySix

DirtySix

I'm subscribing to this one. Was trying to find jazz to listen to last night but have no idea where to start.
  9. Schlyder

Schlyder

Jaco Pastorius
    UZEB (Alain Caron)
    Stanley Clarke
    Marcus Miller
    YellowJackets (Jimmy Haslip)
    Brian Bromberg

plus many more... Check out BassontheBroadband.com 24/7 streaming bass orientated music (mainly jazz and fusion, but also classical and rock )
  10. mambo4

mambo4

11. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Charles Mingus- Ah Um

Amazing jazz album, start to finish.

Get it immediately
  12. sevdog

sevdog

Miles and Coltrane.

All else is superfluous.
  13. sevdog

sevdog

^^^That's actually a really good list to start somebody off

...I would've said Miles, Coltrane, and Herbie Hancock if I didn't think of Hancock as more Jazz Fusion or Funk.
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Not even close.
  15. Audiophage

Audiophage

Go out and see some local jazz if you can and talk to the bass players in those bands. Maybe they'll give you a lesson or two, or at least they'd be able to point you in the right direction.
  16. sevdog

sevdog

Ha! That didn't take long. Ok, I concede.
  17. Gtripdub

Gtripdub

louis armstrong..duke ellington..miles..coltrane..mingus...lee morgan..jimmy smith..
  18. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Hmm.. Nah
  19. Federighi

Federighi

Check out the Brian Blade Fellowship album Perceptual. Truly some of the most amazing jazz available today. (crooked creek is a personal favorite of mine).
  20. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Best concert I ever saw was Bob James. He had a hell of a bass player on the Hands Down tour.
  21. ntenny

ntenny

The list is good, but neither Miles nor Coltrane gets a really good cross-section, because they both had so many different phases of their careers. It's worth checking out Coltrane's _Impressions_ (or the four-disc Village Vanguard boxed set that's a superset of it), an album of long modal improvisations, and the four albums _Relaxin'/Steamin'/Cookin'/Workin' With The Miles Davis Quintet_. A lot of people coming from a rock background seem to get into Miles's _Sketches Of Spain_ easily, too.

There's a fantastic, underappreciated album under Duke Ellington's name called _Money Jungle_; it's a trio of Duke, Mingus, and Max Roach, which is even better than it sounds like it would be.

Other artists I remember being lit up by at first hearing: Carla Bley (much of her work has Steve Swallow on bass), Eric Dolphy, Rahsaan Roland Kirk (big sprawling horn-centric improvisations, often with weird stuff like playing multiple horns at once), Gerry Mulligan, Bill Evans (whose approach to chords on piano probably has some lessons for us as bassists), Pharoah Sanders, Charles Lloyd.

Jazz is a huge world, with aspects that are include the dance-pop of several generations, alternative strains of classical music (if Mingus had been white, IMHO nobody would have any hesitancy about calling him a classical composer), experimental noise, pretty relaxing music, high-technique funk, and pretty much everything else. There's something in there for everybody.

-NT