Rock star net worths.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MuinXing, Nov 15, 2012.

1. MuinXing

MuinXing

Real simple how do the wealth of rock stars interest for you.

Simple example apparently geezar butler is worth 65 million and ozzy only 50 percent more, can this be correct how can this be possible?
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

carrots are more important, IMHO!;)
  3. duff beer

duff beer

I work with people that earn the same wage I do...I'm debt free and some of them live cheque to cheque.

In most cases, it's simply a matter of lifestyle choices and being smart with your money. Virtually everyone who wins a lottery ends up changing their phone number because they're sick of relatives and friends looking for a handout. Being a rockstar is like winning a lottery...you have a lot of friends and relatives wanting a piece. Some people get suckered and/or give too much away.
  4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I wonder what the net worth of Darryl Hall is ?

I've been watching Darryl's House ....Nice digs

Its not how much you make but how you spend it . Debt often starts a cycle that is hard to stop , for some
  5. Misfit

Misfit

Yeah, I often wonder how that works. Although in this case I'm surprised Ozzy is worth that much. He strikes me as the type who'd be tens of millions in debt.

I think it all amounts to what you do with your earning and how you spend your money. If you have a serious investment portfolio (which it looks like Geezer must have) than it's no surprise to see these guys with big bucks after all these years. I'm a bit surprise Geezer has accumulated that much wealth, but maybe I'm not familiar with his career beyond Black Sabbath. I don't know if he earned the majority of that through Black Sabbath or what.

Just the opposite also surprises me, the huge star who ends up with nothing, and it turns out (at least they say), they never actually made much real money in there music career. I don't know how someone can have multiple platinum selling albums and not make any money, but than others who either had comparable album sales or fairly modest album sales and they rake in the cash from there career. The music industry, I guess show business in general, has never made sense to me.
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

He has Sharon to keep him and everyone around him in check. That woman runs every aspect of his life.
  7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

I do believe she was his manager long before they were married.

The guy who surprises me is Lionel Richie. I do believe he's worth somewhere north of $200 million.
  8. Truktek2

Truktek2

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I remember this point getting made particularly about Entwhistle. In the documentary they did after he died, there was an interview with Pete Townshend where he said that after the Who broke up, the rest of them reckoned that the money was not going to keep flowing in the same way and they all downsized their lifestyle and watched their investments. Entwhistle didn't and kept living it up like a big-time rock star, with the huge mansion and dozens of cars and thousands of guitars. He ran himself into a huge pit of debt before he died.
  10. JoZac21

JoZac21

11. millsbass5

millsbass5

That's a great show. I wish he would have more musicians from back in the day, though. Although I did like the episode with Rob Thomas, of Matchbox 20........ I can't believe I just said that. Screw it, the dude's a pretty damn good musician.
  12. millsbass5

millsbass5

You can bet your sweet ass he ain't in debt with that wife of his. Whew!!! Talk about a shrewd businesswoman. She fits the bill for shrewdness, and that's a good thing. I'd let her manage my finances if I were a musician dealin' with millions.
  13. Mike M.

Mike M.

Bingo! I'm single and other than my morgage and utilities I'm debt free. I use to work with a guy who made about $8.00 an hour more than me and his wife also worked. They almost had to file for bankrupcy due to thier spending habits. They also refinanced thier house so many times due to thier spending that they couldn't do it anymore. If one of the other guys at work just bought the latest and greatest snowmobile then this guy HAD to have it too....even though he didn't need it.

I call spending like that "trying to fill a void within."

John Entwistle comes to mind because he was pretty much broke at the time when he died. Townsend said you'd give him checks for two or three million dollars and it was gone.
  14. Misfit

Misfit

Yeah, that kind of goes along with what I said in my post above. How is Trey Anastasio on this list? When was Phish ever even remotely big? I can't even fathom the idea that being in Phish made him $75 million. He must be a shrewed businessmen on the side or something. And how is Steven Adler on the list but not Matt Sorum? Whatever.
  15. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    I heard once upon a time that ABBA was one of the wealthiest bands around. Not only did they have huge hits, but they didn't blow it all on...well, blow. Instead, the members invested what they made and were a little more judicious in how they spent it. Swedish pragmatism at its finest.
  16. MuinXing

MuinXing

It's very strange indeed.

I think a very large componet to a band making money is the length of it's career and a loyal fan base for touring.

It's obvious that people they get a chance for second careers, need little money for advertising, etc. Do exceptionally well.
  17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I really don't care about the net worth of rock stars or anyone else's other than my own. I live a realtively comfortable stress free lifestyle, I am healthy, have a great family and the ability to donate time and money to charity. I have friends who make a lot of money and struggle to make ends meet. Its all about lifestyle choices.
  18. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Geezer wrote the lyrics, so I am sure he got a larger chunk of the publishing.
  19. pnut166

pnut166

Ozzy didn`t write anything, right ? Maybe Geezer gets writing royalities ? Same goes for Ozzy`s solo career - I heard Lemmy say he made more for writing " Mama I`m Coming Home" for Ozzy than he has in Motorhead`s entire existence. I posted one of these threads awhile back; it interested me to see who had amassed what.
  20. MuinXing

MuinXing

Meh actually it's almost the opposite in some ways. My basic point is that the rock stars that are worth alot do it mainly through career moves, as rockstars make poor hedge fund managers.

Also this isn't about pinning for money or something.

It's about a musicians career, something that I think is highly relevant.

I think if you follow the link to making good career choices and good music, and a musicians net worth it's hard to think it's unimportant.