Rocksmith - Good Learning Tool??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Capn Bloodeye, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Capn Bloodeye

Capn Bloodeye

What's up everybody. I'm new to the bass. As a lifelong guitar 'wannabe' I never gave bass much attention until I was playing 'Beatles Rock Band' with my daughter. I was playing the bass version and was immediately impressed with Paul McCartney's bass lines. Since then I pay attention to every bass line I hear.
    Now I have a bass and Rock Smith - Just curious on anybody's thoughts about the game and if it is a good way to learn?

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Sure. If it gets your hands on the instrument, yes. But it is no teacher and no sub for actual practice.

derylgallant and nataku333 like this.
  3. Batmensch

Batmensch

It's a good way to learn how to play guitar and bass parts of certain songs, and it gains you some co-ordination, flexibility, speed and strength, but it doesn't teach theory. I do believe it is good and fun addition to an overall course of learning. I wouldn't rely on it solely if you want to seriously learn music. Fun introduction to playing for absolute beginners.

4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

The other guys covered it well. It's a start.

Here is something you can sink your teeth into.

I found Online Bass Lessons at StudyBass.com and Ed's book "Building Walking Bass Lines" to be on track and both have great value. There is one more bass line book I would recommend, "Bass lines in minutes" by Kris Berg. "Bass Guitar for Dummies" is a good starter book, as it has a little bit of everything you will be using. Your public library will probably have a copy. Dummies will help you with how to make sound, fingers, pick or whatever. It'll also help with how to mute some of he unwanted sound.

My old standby chart of generic bass lines using the "major scale box" as a Rosetta stone may help:
    Let the major scale be your home base then change a few notes and you have something different. No need to memorize a zillion patterns. Let the major scale pattern be your go to pattern - then using the spelling of what you want the correct notes fall under your fingers. Yes you do have to put the spellings to memory. See the A, B, C's and play the 1, 2, 3's within the box.

I know of no instrument that does not start you out running your scales. Why? So your fingers get used to your fretboard and your ear starts recognizing the good notes from the bad notes. Start with the Major scale pattern for the following scales; C, G, D, A, E and B. Now do the natural minor scale pattern for these minor scales, i.e. Bm, Em, Am, Dm, Gm, and Cm. Yes use the natural minor scale spelling with the box, i.e. R-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-8. Do those two scales, the major and then the natural minor scale until you can do them in your sleep. Gotta get all this into muscle memory so when your brain says E major scale your fingers are already moving to the correct notes.

That should keep you busy for a couple of months. Is there more, sure, but get your scales down first and then we can get into chords, arpeggios and bass lines. Then we'll take on playing some bass lines to some songs using one of the many different kinds of sheet music. It is a journey that starts with our scales.

As a check of how the box does put the right notes under your fingers here is a scale chart that I lived with when I first started out.

Now I know most of this went over your head. Copy it and past it somewhere you can get to it. It is going to come in handy. Start with the C major scale at the 4th string 8th fret. When that flows do the G major scale at the 4th string 3rd fret. D major scale next.

You may need this to find the D note on the 4th string:
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the bottom end.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. freatles

freatles

I keep wondering if RS2k14 makes me better or sloppier.

Asked my teacher - he thought that "at the least it will help develop muscle memory".

I suppose theres year or two of beginner practice+lessons on it easily. - If you commit to going through the lessons, game arcade, and then really learn the songs instead of mindlessly just plucking at whatever is shown on the screen. So thats 300 hours of those 10 000 on the way to mastery...

Recently I was reading a fretless thread here, and thought that actually RS may have helped me develop my intonation (never played RS with a fretted bass).

7. Batmensch

Batmensch

That very well could be true. RS' note detection can be very picky. One of the most common complaints from new players is that they are sure they hit the right note, but the game is telling them they are a note too sharp. It turns out the problem, more often than not, is that the player is indeed hitting the right fret on the right string, but is pressing the string down too hard, causing the note to go very slightly sharp and the game is registering it as a wrong note.
    I would think that maybe for fretless players, this could be a positive thing.

8. JaamE

JaamE Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp Supporting Member

I just downloaded the demo to be sure it would run on my machine, i dont have the Rocksmith brand cable though, and it keeps telling me a cable is unplugged. Anyone know if it's supposed to work with any USB->instrument cable or if there's something special about their cable that makes it proprietary? I have an other cable at work i can try, but this is annoying me at the moment.

9. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

Yes. It is a good learning tool for becoming more familiar with the bass and learning some songs, but certainly doesn't teach you everything. I used it as a total beginner though and it really helped me become more familiar with the instrument.

10. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure you need the Real Tone cable the comes with the game.

http://www.frys.com/product/6840316?source=google&gclid=CLLAob-9lb4CFaZlOgodXW8AjA

11. JaamE

JaamE Owner of the GK Angry Bird amp Supporting Member

12. Batmensch

Batmensch

Yes, because of proprietary (is that the word?) circuitry in the block on the cable, the Realtone cable is the only one that works with the game.

13. Tooned

Tooned

Pretty sure the cable is included with the software. So if you buy it, you get the cable and therefore no worries.

*edit.. I see you can buy it without the cable and also buy the cable separately.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  14. Zephrant

Zephrant

I'm a solid proponent of RS as a way to get interested in the bass, and keep the fun level high.

But it is a crutch, and if you get serious about playing you will outgrow the "gently falling colored dots" and want to learn songs from tab, or by ear.

I pounded on it for about three months, but it has been months since I last booted it up. The always updating Uplay crap, and limited selection of songs got to be too much.

15. brenner182

brenner182

I love it. haha i actually used it to learn some songs for an audition a time or two. But unless you know how to get the custom songs that people can make, The stock setlist is kinda boring