Rocksmith - Revolutionary new teaching aid?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Wesz, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Wesz

Wesz

Was surfing the net last night and came across Rocksmith, a video game, like guitar hero but you plug an actual, real life guitar in and it teaches you to play! Dont think the initial release has any bass features but think it will in the future, probably available as DLC.
    Have linked a review on the game and was curious as to what people think about it. If anyone has already read about it etc..

'Rocksmith': The First Real Guitar Game | Rolling Stone Culture | Gear Up | Entertainment Technology, Gadgets, Product Reviews and Trends

Look forward to seeing what you all think about it...
  2. carlthegroover

carlthegroover

I dunno, man. It might be just me being silly, but the creators turned me down of this game by NOT including compatibility with the bass from the get go (come on, they relegated the bass to "downloadable content").

But maybe, if I happen to own a PS3/ Xbox360 when that game is released, and the bass is already made compatible (yeah, even through DLC) ... I could think about trying it out.
  3. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

I saw a commercial for it. I say cool. If it gets kids playing a real guitar....and then real music, more power to the 'em. Having a bass compatible option would be even better. More musicians in the world the better, I think.
  4. Intenzity

Intenzity Supporting Member

Hey, ya know what was the first "real" guitar game?

The guitar.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StankZappa

StankZappa

I work for best buy and have played this "Rocksmith". This game is revolutionary for sure. It starts with one note at a time and the better you do the more notes and chords start showing up... Although they have not made bass playable on this game, they will be adding it sooner or later promise. Go to your local game store and they should have a working demo, hopefully.

Think of it as a game putting tabs on a moving fretboard showing which frets to play.
  7. FreeBassJunky

FreeBassJunky

Stank, you work at Best Buy? What kind of guitar do they use to demo the game?
  8. cybrrmage

cybrrmage

My son bought this for the PS3 and he said it is pretty amazing. He plays the piano but never touched a guitar before the game. After an hour he said he could tell he improved. He really liked how the game got harder as you got better without getting too hard ot too easy. Im away from home for awhile and one of the guys I am here with ordered the PC version, I will let you know what I think when he gets it. According to their FAQ they are adding bass as DLC but when no one knows lol.
  9. swelltrain

swelltrain

Played this for 5 mins at GC last night. It was awesome. Between this and Modern Warfare 3 my xbox may never get turned off.
  10. vishalicious

vishalicious

I was looking at this and did some reading on the internet. There's apparently a freeware PC/Mac program from a company called JamOrigin (from Denmark) that's similar to this. Right now, it just supports guitar, but one of the admins on their forum said that bass support is definately on its way.

JamOrigin Website

The two programs that I think are relevant are JamGuru and Offbeat Guitarist.

This is the page on their forum where I saw the bass support mentioned:

Offbeat Guitarist - Bass Support

(As an aside, I own a pc, but haven't played a console since the original Playstation. We have a Wii, but I really just use it for Netflix.)
  11. Saxn

Saxn

12. pnut166

pnut166

My question is: does it actually teach music ? Or are you just learning to play corresponding notes without any idea of what you`re actually doing musically ? To me, if it doesn`t actually teach music (even basics), it`s no different than Guitar Hero - just a more complicated controller :)
  13. Saxn

Saxn

I see what you mean, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to look at it as "just a more complicated controller." At least something that teaches instrument fingering/technique would be something that allows a kid to have fun even if they're unplugged from the game system.

A section for sight reading and the like would be a nice touch, though.
  14. vishalicious

vishalicious

I don't think it actually teaches music. That was something that reviewers at Amazon spoke about. It still puts players on the path to that though. But, with downloadable content as an option, its hard to say what the limit could be, with demand.

They are going to release bass support as downloadable content. This is what I found on the internet:

No, there will be no bass guitar support on-disc, and there’s actually a very good reason behind this. The developers didn’t want anyone being introduced to guitar to get confused, and that makes a lot of sense. You can say, “Yes, you need a guitar to play this game,” but if there was bass on-disc, one could say “You need a guitar or a bass guitar to play,” and then beginners or those without instrumental knowledge would wonder why they can’t play the guitar parts with a bass guitar or vice versa.

I also found this from the same interview:

The first bit of confirmed DLC pieces (if you’ve been keeping track) are Radiohead’s “Bodysnatchers,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Freebird,” and the bass compatibility DLC.

If anyone is interested, I added some links for information on my beginner's bass blog.
    Games and software for learning bass are coming
  15. xxpigxx

xxpigxx

Suck it up dude.

It does teach basic rhythm and also increases dexterity and stamina.

I started to play real bass because of Harmonix and their games. If it were not for Guitar Hero and Rock Band, I would have nevere dreamed of picking up an instrument.

Oh, and by the way... I also learned limb independence and general layout of a drumset from playing RB. I can and have done decently, while covering for the drummer at church.

Did these games make me an expert? Not even close. In fact, I will keep learning new things until I die.

These games DID help me out.

But most importantly, they piqued my interest in the real thing. And I am not the only one. In fact, you would be wrong if you think I am in the minority.

Get off the elitist trip.
  16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Actually, there were/are.

Digital dexterity, rhythm and ear training.

Several of my young relatives attempted guitar and quit.

Whatever it takes to get the youngin's into playing "real" instrument. Since millions of guitar games have been sold, I suspect more than a few players have gone on to learn "real" instruments. Just as a few karaoke singers have gone on to musical careers.
  17. Saxn

Saxn

Very well, sirs.
  18. finlandik

finlandik

I bought this game last Friday and so far I'm really enjoying it. But as a bassist it really needs a bass option. I'm waiting to hear If you will have to buy each bass line separately or as a package to update the game for us bass players
  19. rodcheapo

rodcheapo Guest

+Million to this....

Guitar Hero / Rock Band are completely worthless at teaching music theory....who cares. These games have done more to expose millions of people to different musical genres/cultures than any widespread television program or publication in the last few decades. God forbid people have fun with music.....

I have been in college for the last several years, and can't tell you how many times I have heard people say "I played that on GH" and go out and pick up an album. I even know people that found out about Metallica, AC/DC, et al. through the game. Fantastic way to get people into real music and away from auto-tuned hip-hop/pop crap in clubs and on television.

If and when Rocksmith adds bass functionality, I may never leave my house.
  20. carlthegroover

carlthegroover

+1 million. I'm one of those who started out on Rock Band. So what? Now I play the real thing. And so are many other people.
  21. Saxn

Saxn

Ok since this thread has decided to revive, let me just ask WHY? WHY would you 'start with Rock Band' and learn to button-push and pretend-jam when for a similar sum of money you could be doing the real thing on an entry-level instrument? Why go through the extra step? That's all I am asking here.