1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rocksmith taught me bass. Now I need your help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Passive Jay, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

A little more than a year ago I starting learning bass using only rocksmith. I have reached the point where advice from actual bass players would help.

This is not my best but here are a couple songs I recorded. (is there anyway to imbed video on this site?)

this one is showing the tv screen so that people unfamiliar with rocksmith can get an idea of how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EXjXsRE0E4#t=0

This one is of me so you guys can tell me what I am screwing up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPP0VJzyeGA

So what am I doing wrong? I am sure you guys can give me some tips.
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I always wondered what that Rocksmith looked like. I think you can only link videos on this site I'm not sure what the question is? if you're having fun and just like to noodle around I think you're fine if you want to play in a band you may need a nice instructional dvd or even some lessons.
  3. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

I guess my question was if you noticed any obvious issues in my playing that I should work on correcting? I would imagine you could tell better from the second video showing me rather than the first one showing the tv screen.
  4. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

In the second video it looks as if you're waiting for the notes to come up on the screen, almost looks like you are stuttering. I Can't really hear the bass on my laptop. Take a few of those rocksmith songs, and just play them without the game and see how you do.
  5. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

I have Rocksmith 2014, got it about a month ago. I have been playing bass for a while but was looking to see what it can offer plus a game to have fun with at the same time. I dig it.

I noticed in the beginning of the video you were jumping the gun and playing a note that was not really there. You did it twice within the same phrase. It was about a minute into the video. It also says you missed a note, during the slide. Either you did not hit the note at the right time or your slide was off.

It seems like a couple of things have gone astray.

Video: 1

1) First off, when you play a game like this, it is very distracting. You see all these notes coming at you and it is very easy to get caught up with it. Also, even using Riff Repeater, I'll nail something at 100% difficulty and tempo but within the context of the song, it is not perfect. I also find it difficult to play the song a few times and then repeat the song without the game playing (when playing a song that I have not attempted outside the game).

2) Your timing is a little off. This comes with practice.

3) You sound a little stiff in you playing. Relax and maybe keep the speed and drop the difficulty. That will allow you less notes and could help you with playing phantom notes that are not there. You do improve on this when you get further into the song though.

Video: 2

1)Your posture looks a little uncomfortable. Your thumb looks like tight and bent. Relax, it helps when you play a lot of fast notes to not be so stiff or you are going to cramp up.

2) Either stand up and play or get something to put under you right foot. I use a step stool. It helps keep the bass still and can prevent unnecessary slippage that may disrupt your playing.

3) Use that pinky!!

4) Listen to the bass lines. Even if outside the game and your just listening. It does not have a soulful feeling to it. When you really hear the line and feel the groove, that is when things feel like actual music making.

Those were my critiques. Just keep up the practice and make sure to practice your scales and chords outside of the game. Mess around with the session mode and play along with all those recommendations. Do not just complete the exercise.. if you are feeling it, just keep playing. When I do the session mode, I make the view of the entire fretboard. Look for the chord changes and follow the groove.
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Yeah relax that plucking hand, try standing and playing some too.
  7. spz8

spz8

You don't look very comfortable playing. If you're going to wear your strap long (not as cool as it looks IMO), play standing up rather than half draping over your thigh. You MUST get your left pinky involved. The longer you neglect it, the bigger the problematic crutch it will become. As for Rocksmith, once you know the notes of the tune, turn it off - don't rely on visual graphics to get your timing together, use your ears.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

You also don't appear to be anticipating what's coming next...thus the 'sudden' quick moves. Keep your eye on what you're about to play, and get there BEFORE, not at the same time you need to hit the note. Don't sit back and wait for whatever change is coming, meet it...so you're there already when you need to hit the note in whatever hand position its in.
  9. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

thank you all for the advice so far. There are a TON of songs for rocksmith so I have not practiced any one song all that much.

Rocksmith 2014 has something called master mode that makes the notes gradually fade away as you learn the song, so in the long run it has you memorize the song.
  10. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

Burn that game and get a teacher, dude :)
  11. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Master mode has made me realize that despite 99-100% completion of a song... I have no idea what I was actually playing. So in due time, it will eventually make it to memory. Just do not be disappointed if you are totally clueless when this happens.

I never had a personal bass teacher but there really is nothing like one on one with a good instructor. I have had a couple sessions when taking a piano course in college. Very good stuff. However, the game is a game. It offers a lot of good tips, techniques and gets those fingers moving. I think it is a great tool - it seems to be less of a game and more of instruction, which is great. I think the game will do you good once you work out a few kinks with form and posture.
  12. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Go away, dude. :spit:
  13. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

I've wondered what it looks like as well...I guess that's all displayed on a relatively small computer screen?

For me it would be WAY too distracting. Thats probably an age thing on my part.

The second video is more telling and may have little to do with rocksmith;
    posture
    both wrist positions
    timing
    the missing pinky
    right hand technique
    back and forth between the fret board and the screen
    orange soda

compound all the complexity on the screen but all easy to adjust. Might as well tighten it all up now before they become habit's that effect your playing or worse, injury.

Every time I see this kinda thread it further convinces that the original advice I took away from TB, to get an instructor and a proven method - use them together with a real hefty dose of practice. IS SIMPLY THE QUICKEST AND BEST.

p.s. just kidding about the soda
  14. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

In my defense I cant really use my pinky, I was stabbed in my hand a long time ago and it cut my pinky tendon (it nicked the ring finger tendon as well but its not as bad) and I have very little strength or control over it, but I am still trying to use it when I can.

Now in rocksmiths defense :)

Keep in mind that I had no other instruction at all. Now I realize that lessons would have been a much better way to learn but I could not afford them really. Can you guys tell me of any other way I could have advanced my skill as much as I have with a single 80 dollar purchase? I dont claim to be very good at all but considering that I am a fairly clumsy, uncoordinated person that had never picked up a bass a year ago I think I have progressed fairly well.
  15. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

The problem is that you're playing the game and not really feeling the music. I would turn the game off and just practice with the music only then turn the game back on and see how you score.
  16. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    When I was a kid we called this playing along to the radio. It's a legitimate way to practice. But it's only part of it. Definitely go take a few lessons, enough to get your technique fixed. You'll be experiencing carpal tunnel if you play like that constantly. Don't bend the fretting wrist, thumb behind the neck. Plucking looks ok, at the beginner level but learning, you'll get more comfortable as you play more, watch the wrist there too, it helps to keep the elbow up if you want to hold the bass that way. And if you want to keep playing to rock band or similar that's fine but add other essentials, learn the notes of the fretboard, learn some basic notation, learn scales and what notes consist of the common chords. Welcome to the world of bass! Have fun and don't get discouraged! I'd say you have more skill than many a budding punk rock bass player when they start, go find some others to jam with.
  17. neckdive

neckdive

As others mentioned, your posture needs work and your bass should be more parallel to your body. It looks like it is laying down at almost 30 degrees. This is causing your left wrist to curl too much.

I understand your wanting to save money on lessons, but there are many great resources available to teach you better technique that will pay off in the long run with better playing and preventing CTS in both of your hands. Look up Scotts Bass Lessons and focus hard on beginning technique. Watch every beginning video no matter how mundane it may seem.

Try playing one finger per fret slowly while standing in front of a mirror. Fret each note cleanly as close to the fret as possible while noting what the other fingers are doing how high they are from the fretboard. They shouldn't bunch up and touch each other and you shouldn't use one finger to apply pressure to another (middle laying on top of ring finger).

Watch Jaco's full length instructional video with Jerry Jemmott over and over until you understand how vital learning proper technique is to the quality of your bass playing down the road. Then, as you progress, watch it periodically to pick up on things that went over your head like harmonics, arpeggios, etc.

It takes guts to post a video of yourself and ask for constructive criticism. Good for you. Keep at it and post a follow-up in a month or so showing everyone that you took our advice and made all of the wise corrections proffered from the group.
  18. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

I will definitely try to use all the good advice here and post more videos showing any improvement.
  19. bmb73

bmb73

^This
  20. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

I'm sorry but Rocksmith isn't teaching you how to play bass and it's not teaching you music either. Its teaching you how to play songs and I'm not even sure if it's doing that much. If that's all you want to do then fine it's working for you but don't confuse the two.

There are tons of great learning resources on YouTube for you to use. I really feel those 80 bucks could have been spent on a couple lessons to make sure your form and posture and right hand technique aren't going to be causing you problems later on