Roddy White loses bet...welches

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Mar 22, 2014.

?

Has Roddy White Welched on a bet?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2014.
  1. Roddy White should honor the "bet"

16 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. NO- Roddy White need not honor the bet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Roddy White has fulfilled his obligations by offering tickets to 1 game

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. carr.....naw...eggplant

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

or did he?

for those who don't know, Atlanta wide receiver Roddy White made a twitter bet with someone to give him season tickets if Mercer beat Duke in the NCAA tourney...Mercer did beat Duke, and now White has reneged, deleted most of the posts from his Twitter account, and says he will give the tickets to Da Bears game only. this has apparently caused a s**t-storm on Twitter, with people blasting White. (don't hold me to this as i don't Twitter and cannot certify either it's veracity or falsehood)

i think this is an absolutely low class thing to do....essentially, a multi-millionaire refusing to honor a promise to one of "the people".

never really cared for Roddy White and, now, i dern sure am disgusted

BUT...

is this technically welching? in the so-called bet, the fan never bet anything. I always thought a bet was risk/reward on both sides. if mercer had lost the game, the fan would not have had to do anything or give up anything

what do you think....posting a poll

to read the story, just google "Roddy White loses bet"...sorry, i don't know how to copy the link

[​IMG]
  2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

If the facts are as you've presented them, then it doesn't matter that the fan didn't risk anything. If Mr. White said "if x happens, I will y," then he should regard that as his obligation.
  3. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

A bet is a bet. Honor it or forever be deemed a schmuck.
  4. matante

matante

It doesn't matter if he's rich or poor and it doesn't matter if it was a bet or not. A grown man is only as good as his word.

Yes.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

any public figure should be painfully aware that in this day and age the public and especially his "fans" would regard a statement like that to be carved in stone,and expect it to be honored .....and there is no other way to maintain ones credibility except to honor what he said,though he may have misspoke or "shot from the lip"..........
  7. Lonesomedave

obviously, i can't swear to this, as i only know what i read....but if you google "Roddy White loses bet", i believe you'll agree with my assessment...

[​IMG]
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I bet you a million bucks he never honours it :bag:
  9. tplyons

tplyons

Rich or not, he's in the public eye and is causing himself a PR nightmare.

He will always be known as the guy who welched on a bet with a fan.
  10. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I think most rational people would realize that this isn't a "real" bet, and that it's just trash talking on the internet. It's not like he laid down a bet in Vegas and is refusing to pay.

I've never heard of Roddy White but if he is indeed a multi-millionaire, I'm sure he's not too concerned with being known for welching on a bet with a faceless fan he doesn't even know.

Edit: After reading about this, the tickets that he used to bet with aren't even available. All of that seating is soldout for the season. He couldn't honor it even if he wanted to. What a non-issue. This is why I quit watching ESPN and any kind of sports "news" 15 years ago. It's just so silly.
  11. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

since it is those faceless fans who pay to see him play it is a concern....fan loyalty and player popularity do
    get raised in the board room..
  12. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

If NFL players can murder people, beat women, kill dogs and still get paid millions, I don't think the board room is going to be too concerned with Roddy White's bet.

Anyway, I've already give more thought to Roddy White than I ever thought I would. That's enough. Peace.
  13. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

you may not have heard but convicted murderers are in jail,even nfl stars don't get away with that....and vick did some jail time and some serious pr work was done before any nfl team would consider it....
  14. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Ray Lewis? Oh, you said "convicted".
  15. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell

well we do kind of insist on the rule of law,and innocent until proven guilty over here.....howz that working for you over there?
  16. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Agreed 110%. There's a schmuck on TB that shafted me in a football bet many years ago. I like to bring that up in relevant conversations to remind him what a tool he is.
  17. Lonesomedave

easy there, fellas...don't get so upset...this is just a thread, not life or death

[​IMG]