1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

RODENBERG GAS-789B NG is it a B3K or B7K killer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SirMjac28, Nov 27, 2012.

1. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have owned both the B3K and B7K and I'm always on the lookout for pedals that are just different I ran across the GAS-789B NG and it looks interesting but like most boutique pedals there's not enough info or any available videos to really judge the pedal I know Marcus Miller is a user but he could make any pedal sound good I saw some previous posts on Rodenberg pedals but I would like to reopen the discussion to anyone who owns or has owned a Rodenberg pedal before I pull the trigger.

RODENBERG GAS-789B NG

Special Features: • Three totally independent GAS pedals GAS-707B (Clean Boost) / GAS-808B (Overdrive) / GAS-909B+ (808B) in one box • Internal 18V DC Operation for more (Output)-Level range and headroom • GAS-707B (Clean Boost) - Tone and (Output)-Level controls • GAS-808B (Overdrive) - Tone, (Output)-Level and Overdrive controls • GAS-909B+ (Overdrive) - Tone, (Output)-Level and Overdrive controls • Bolt switch =>Bolted switching or serial switching action (GAS-808B/GAS-909B+ only!) • 808B switch =>GAS-909B+ can be switched over into the GAS-808B mode • <-798-> switch =>Signal path switchable from GAS-789 to GAS-897 • Signal path 789: guitar =>707B=>808B=>909B+=>Amp • Signal path 897: guitar =>808B=>909B+=>707B=>Amp • External GO! switch (optional) for GAS-808B (Overdrive)=>momentary action • External GO! switch (optional) for GAS-909B+ (Overdrive)=>momentary action • True Bypass • Long-Life footswitch • Top panel made of stainless steel • Built like a tank • Specially dimensioned and selected components • Illuminated rocker switches when switched to 'ON' • Bright green, blue and red vintage Jewel-LEDs • Powered by an external standard 9 volts power supply adapter • Current draw: min. 250mA • No battery operation! • Dimensions (L/T/H (inch)): 7.4 x 4.7 x 1.4 / Gewicht: 2.0 lbs • Handmade in small numbers • 2 years warranty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Spencer!

Spencer! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio
    Why on earth does it have so many relays?

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It's a really complicated pedal I got a headache looking at all the features.

4. SirMjac28

I know one of the OD's is based on the Tube Screamer with a bass mod but I'm not sure what that even sounds like.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

I have always thought that the Rodenberg pedals had a cool, industrial look to them. But 389 Euro is a steep price that kind of integration.

7. SirMjac28

I talked to the builder he said I could get one for $425.00 with air shipping but that's B7K territory or a B3K and some money left over. I like trying different pedals but I would love some more input before I pulled the trigger because on this forum a B7K or a B3K lasts about a day or two before being snatched up this would be harder to sell if I didn't like it.

8. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

I am going to try the pedal soon though somewhere around this week, I dont think i will be buying the pedal since i already have like 4 dirt pedal. I will keep everyone posted on this.

9. SirMjac28

That would be great thanks

10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I'd bet a good half or more of the bass-specific or bass popular ODs around are Tube Screamer-based. Two super common ones being the Fulltone Bassdrive and the Voodoo Labs Sparkle-Drive. From what I've read on the Rodenberg website, one of the drive pedals is just a gainier version of the other, which would suggest that they are both modified Tube Screamer circuits. Usually the Tube Screamer is characterized by a fairly strong and smooth midrange bump and fairly heavy compression that tends to overpower the rest of the signal. There have been all sorts of mods to make them more flat in response, but in my experience that midrange bump is what makes it sound good/special in the first place and I haven't really been especially impressed by any of the modified versions I've tried for that reason. The Sparkle Drive has probably been my favorite for bass simply because of the addition of the clean blend, so it still has the characteristic mid bump to the drive signal but it can be blended in with clean tone to be a bit more neutral/less overpowering. I am also fond of the MI Audio Blueboy, which is more "inspired" by a Tube Screamer than "based on"- it is much more flat and capable of more punch and heavy lows, though still a bit too compressed at heavier drive settings for me.

For my uses, I don't see a modified Tube Screamer in my future again- too smooth and compressed sounding. If you are a fan of the B3K tones, which are far more punchy and cutting, then I would guess this wouldn't do it for you- though perhaps they have done some magic to the Screamer that I haven't experienced yet to dirty up some of that polite/ smooth inherent nature...

11. SirMjac28

Great post Sun thanks that sparkle drive was rated in the top forty OD's of all time by Music Radar. I love that punchy sound of the B3K but I'm really intrigued by the sparkle drive I love pedals that have a clean blend. I think $425.00 is a steep price for an experiment that might go wrong thanks again.

12. Jens Busck

Jens Busck

The Rodenberg indeed has that midrange bump, but it's far superior to other bass tubescreamers I've tried (Xotic and Ibanez). I'm using the 728b and it has this amazing quality of...well...a raw kind of luxury, that's really unique. It's certainly my favourite pedal, even compared to other wonderful stompboxes I'm using like the B3K and EBS Valvedrive.

Regarding the initial question, I don't think the new 789b is a B3K/B7K killer, since it does something quite different. I would prefer the Rodenberg to Darkglass if I had to choose, but the Darkglass stuff has a mix knob with a level control placed before it, which gives quite different options. The Rodenbergs can't do this sizzling overdrive on top of your sound, which is IMO the cool thing about Darkglass. Rodenbergs don't have mix knobs and they become more midforward the harder you drive them. I'm using the tubescreamer-part of the 728b at a light setting and I love adding a little B3K on top of the Rodenberg sound, so to me these pedals are a perfect match and not really competitors. I don't think I would go for the new 789b, though, since I can't imagine myself making use for an extreme Rodenberg drive, but if you like a very hard tubescreamerish drive, then go for it! Otherwise go for the 728b :) Either way, you can't really go wrong with Rodenberg.

13. SirMjac28

Great thanks I do like pedals that are different and bring something unique to table

14. SirMjac28

I actually have the 728B on my eBay watch list I came across that first and went to the website and saw the 789 I think it might be overkill.

15. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    Crap, its even got "GAS" in the name of it... that can't be good.

16. Jens Busck

Jens Busck

The 728b is also a lot more compact (same size as Empress pedals etc.). By the way I just read Sunbeasts post again, and I will claim that Rodenberg has done what is asked for. It's a really raw (yet pleasing) sound with practically no compression. The smoothness of, say, the Xotic BB, wasn't to my liking either, but the Rodenberg is totally different and way more "in your face".

17. SirMjac28

My Holy Fire is also too smooth I need a grunge bite if that makes any sense

18. Jens Busck

Jens Busck

From my intuitive understanding of "grunge bite", I think that's exactly what you get - in a Rolls Royce kind of way :)

19. SirMjac28