1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rodney Atkins at Frederick Fairgrounds

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Lazylion, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

My wife and I saw country star Rodney Atkins at a charity affair at the Fairgrounds Saturday afternoon. He's a good singer & entertainer, and went over quite well with the crowd. He's also got a good throwing arm, he can wing those rolled-up t-shirts out to the cheap seats! I'm thinking he's played a bit of football.

We enjoyed the show, but I have to say the FOH mix was quite lopsided. Although there were 6 players, all we could hear was vocals, drums, bass and lead guitar. There was a banjo/rhythm guitarist and a pedal steel/lap steel player, but they were only audible when the lead guitar stopped playing, which wasn't often. Rodney plays guitar as well, but was only audible on a couple of intros, with the rest of the band silent.

I also momentarily heard a mandolin at one point, and a fiddle at another point, but did not see anyone playing these instruments, so at least part of the band was recorded. Hmmm...

LG had a great tone and is a good player and energetic performer. I would have liked to hear what he could do with a Tele and a clean tone on a couple of songs, but that didn't happen. He's evidently a Gibson guy, played a Les Paul, an Explorer and a 6/12 doubleneck.

So the songs, which sound country on the radio, got the rock power trio treatment in concert. I assume this was due to the sound man. Gotta give Rodney credit for one thing, though... there was a bass solo on the second song of the show! :D
  2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

Forgot a couple things:
    The bassist was playing a Danelectro Longhorn style bass. I wasn't close enough to see if it was the real thing or a knockoff. But it looked and sounded good!

Also, the first of Rodney's 2 encore tunes was "Long Haired Country Boy", complete with the "take another toke" line. And they played the bass lick wrong! Interesting choice, considering what a family-oriented God-and-Country charity event it was. Charlie Daniels doesn't even sing that line any more, since he turned all conservative! LOL