Rodney Atkins at Frederick Fairgrounds

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Lazylion, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

My wife and I saw country star Rodney Atkins at a charity affair at the Fairgrounds Saturday afternoon. He's a good singer & entertainer, and went over quite well with the crowd. He's also got a good throwing arm, he can wing those rolled-up t-shirts out to the cheap seats! I'm thinking he's played a bit of football.

We enjoyed the show, but I have to say the FOH mix was quite lopsided. Although there were 6 players, all we could hear was vocals, drums, bass and lead guitar. There was a banjo/rhythm guitarist and a pedal steel/lap steel player, but they were only audible when the lead guitar stopped playing, which wasn't often. Rodney plays guitar as well, but was only audible on a couple of intros, with the rest of the band silent.

I also momentarily heard a mandolin at one point, and a fiddle at another point, but did not see anyone playing these instruments, so at least part of the band was recorded. Hmmm...

LG had a great tone and is a good player and energetic performer. I would have liked to hear what he could do with a Tele and a clean tone on a couple of songs, but that didn't happen. He's evidently a Gibson guy, played a Les Paul, an Explorer and a 6/12 doubleneck.

So the songs, which sound country on the radio, got the rock power trio treatment in concert. I assume this was due to the sound man. Gotta give Rodney credit for one thing, though... there was a bass solo on the second song of the show! :D

2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

Forgot a couple things:
    The bassist was playing a Danelectro Longhorn style bass. I wasn't close enough to see if it was the real thing or a knockoff. But it looked and sounded good!

Also, the first of Rodney's 2 encore tunes was "Long Haired Country Boy", complete with the "take another toke" line. And they played the bass lick wrong! Interesting choice, considering what a family-oriented God-and-Country charity event it was. Charlie Daniels doesn't even sing that line any more, since he turned all conservative! LOL