1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

roger glover

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mike phillips, Dec 10, 2006.

1. i was just thinkin that there is not much mention of roger glover in these here forums. is he not looked upon as a good bassist? or is there other reasons? roger is the reason i wanted to play bass, that thunderin ric in smoke on the water was like a siren song to me. it called out to me. it took 35 years for me to pick up a bass and he is the reason why.

2. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    All my favourite guys go relatively unmentioned here. Pappalardi, Greg Ridley, and the baddest of the bad Roger Glover. He's such a pirate, and really gets fantastic tone, too.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Personally I really like his playing, it is very tasteful and he grooves very well. I haven't found anything of his I dislike. He doesn't seem to bring a whole lot of attention to himself and seems to prefer the supporting role which is why he gets overlooked IMO. You can learn a lot from his playing.

4. his SOTW bassline got me into bass as well :)
    I really enjoy his playing, the sound of his ric on the whole machine head album really turned me on to bass :)

5. Sponsored by:

6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Vigier Guitars has introduced the "Roger Glover Signature" model if anyone is interested. It's not shown on the website yet, but it is an Excess II model with a 3 band Glockenklang preamp, matching headstock color and some snazzy glow in the dark knobs and fret markers.

Slug

7. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1000. i love me some roger glover

8. TOMANO

TOMANO

Oct 31, 2006
    Roger is a great musician and a wonderful man. I had the pleasure of interviewing him a few years ago and he is the real deal.

TOMANO

9. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
  10. Bob Coldwell

Bob Coldwell

May 8, 2015
    I always liked Deep Purple, even if only as a guilty pleasure. I appreciate Roger's playing and style more now than I did back in the day. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The bass solo in Pictures Of Home is killer. It builds, grooves, rocks and leaves you wanting more.

Gluvhand likes this.
  11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    He is still smoking on the water.
    Saw the band on the Morning show, they played that tune.
    They said that they toured thru 54 countries last year.

12. Bob Coldwell

Bob Coldwell

May 8, 2015
    Really? Is Ian Gillan in the band? Steve Morse?

13. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    Yes, Don Airy has been in Deep Purple for a decade when Jon Lord "retired", maybe 10 years of battle against his cancer, I don't know,but it's sad.
    RIP Jon Lord.

The veterans are Gillan, Paice and Glover.

ROOTSnFIFTHS likes this.
  14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Roger was a fine rock and roll bassist, but not extraordinary. He played pretty much exactly what was required and did a good job. I learned a great deal about playing bass by copping his riffs back in the '70s.

15. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    Has he passed away ?

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA

Sorry - I meant "IS" - but since I haven't heard any of his work since... like, forever... I used the word "Was". No, only the great - and I do mean great - Jon Lord has shuffled this mortal coil.

17. There's a number of great well-known bassists that don't get a lot of bandwidth here. Their bands aren't in the forefront of media, they have no issues with police or tax evasion, and nobody really hates them or begrudges their success. For these reasons, they're under the radar.

I've always been a Glover fan. A quick comparison of his Youtube isolated tracks to those of a lot of other players will reveal him to be an excellent musician.

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I grew up listening to Nick Simper then Glover with Deep Purple. Glover is a producer and a bassist, he plays bass as a producer would to fit the song, I've always dug it.

p.s. Paice is one of rocks most underrated drummers from that era.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    In the day, Deep Purple (MkII) & Led Zeppelin were "my' bands...JPJ, though, was the one I studied.
    Glover? I thought he was OK...back then I woulda thought he was the weakest player in the band.
    I do recall being pissed when I read he & Gillan were out of the band.
    Looking at video today from that period: They rock. Paice is a freight train...Blackmore & Lord are better than I remember. Glover fits in perfectly as the anchor.

20. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    This thread is old as dirt. Roger Glover is one of my all time favorites and earliest influences. He's a lot better than people give him credit for.

21. Lionel Albert

Lionel Albert

Jul 24, 2015
    France
    Well, I gave him a lot of credit. I always used to listen to music but didn't know what I was listening.
    My brother is older than me, and I was 13-14 years old, he was 17-18 years old and he brought an LP, a re-edition, on the cover there was five hairy guys, but we couldn't see them very clearly, like a kind a fog between them and me.
    It was written "Deep Purple" and "Machine Head", English is not my native language and for me, "Machine Head" sounded like a pain, kind of headache, a machine in the head or something dangerous or nasty.
    Even if we were in 1990, the album had been made in 1972, the music sounded fresh ! That was interesting and mysterious (I loved to listen to "Lazy", "Pictures At Home" and "Maybe I'm a Leo", they were my favourite tracks), there was no internet, no rock encyclopedia, everything was mysterious.
    The only thing that made me dream were the music and the cover... On the other side of the cover there was a bass guitar, just a piece of neck and the head... So it was the only instrument indirectly mentioned, nothing else was written, so for me, Deep Purple was the bass.
    Later I learnt more things about it... But well... Unconsciously, this bass was speaking to me.
    Later, I figured out that a "machine head" was just a peg.

morrisonhendrix and JimK like this.