Roger Glover's sound on ''Smoke on the water''

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rocknroll777, Dec 18, 2012.

1. rocknroll777

rocknroll777

Hello people!
    Deep Purple's Roger Glover is one of my all time favourite bass players and I dig his sound. In my opinion, his sound on ''Smoke on the water'' is one of the best bass sounds ever recorded. Powerfull, big and growly! Any ideas how to get it? I know he used Marshall stacks and Rickenbacker 4001 at the time and that plays a big part in his sound, but is it achiveable with more modern gear? My Peavey Tour 450 is pretty clean amp, it gets little dirty when i push the preamp gain, but not exactly the thing. I'm also thinking of adding an overdrive pedal to achieve that low distortion growl. Digitech Bad Monkey turned out pretty good.........any of your suggestions?

Thanks for taking time for this.
    :)
  2. rocknroll777

rocknroll777

3. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    I have the Tour 450 also, and I use a Line 6 Basspodxt Pro as a pre-amp, mainly using the "Double Show" preset to dirty up the sound some. Given that it is almost always on that preset, it is probably overkill to have something like the Line 6, but I don't like using pedals if I don't have to. However, I've been playing my Precision more than my Ric lately.
  4. mcm

mcm

Gotten real close with a gk400, bag end 215 stack, flats, and low action. And really pullin the strings
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I think some of it is EQ, some of it is aggressive technique. You might find retro rock sounds are easier to get with something like a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal or one of their Bass Driver DI products.
  7. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I was just working on getting that basic sound myself and got pretty close. I'm using my '12 4003 through Hartke Lh1000 and Avatar 2x10 & 1x15 Neo Cab's. Stock strings.
    On the Hartke I have the Eq set to Bass 7.5 Mid 2 High 8.5.
    On the Ric I have Pickups both on full Tone 7/10.
    I'm sure I have more bass dialed in than most people would but I like more bottom end.
    A pedal of some sort would probably help a lot but I don't own one.
    The more I turn up the volume, the easier it gets but then it's getting pretty darn loud for the living room.
    Either way I am having to DIG IN hard.
    I am considering a Compressor with Gain just make it a bit easier.
  8. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

9. rocknroll777

rocknroll777

WOW guys, thanks a lot for all this stuff! :)
  10. scottfeldstein

I think a VT Bass could get that sound no problem.
  11. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

Do you think one of the VT Character series would nail this sound? I have been looking for an excuse to buy a Leeds pedal.
  12. scottfeldstein

13. scottfeldstein

Actually the sound test I put up the other day of my new M80 isn't all that far off, either.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

This entire video is good:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_41FFICmLVM

Skip to 13:28 to hear and see how it was recorded(pictures only) and what it was written about.
    At 15:20 a live clip is shown for a bit.
    They didn't lose their gear because Frank Zappa was there(16:30).

Either the Line 6 or the Behringer clones could get very close(I use a Line6 BPXTLive).
    The distortion box that Def Lep uses could probably do it b/c DP on that song seems to have more dirt on his lower notes(hitting the Marshall preamp harder with voltage?) and this distortion box lets you pick WHERE you want the dirt: http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/soundblox_pro/multiwave_bass_distortion.php
    PS: the web demos for bass are lame.