1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roger Waters & Eddie Vedder at 12-12-12 Concert Video

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Richland123, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Roger Waters & Eddie Vedder at 12-12-12 Concert Video

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I saw it last night on TV. Geez, what the heck is the deal with Roger Waters anyway? Does he actually DO anything in his own band - other than croak out a few off-key notes into the microphone, and play a few notes on the bass?

He seems to have outsourced everything - including a guest spot to Eddie Vedder - so that he can wander around on the stage, lip-syncing to the other singers, and generally make a fool of himself. :rollno:

MM
  3. JoZac21

JoZac21

I dunno, I think his was one of the best performances of the night (Billy Joel was the best, IMO)..

I think he just realizes that he's not the greatest instrumentalist or front man, but he's the one responsible for the music and it's his name that draws the crowds...

What he's doing now is surrounding himself with much better instrumentalists than himself, letting them do the playing/performing of the music, being the face of the band and providing the songs -

How is that any different than what he did in Pink Floyd in the late 70s?
  4. guitardefector

guitardefector

I didn't get the Waters/Vedder kissing and hand holding and kissing and...deep stares??? Just sayin'???
  5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Looked almost like a "passing the torch" kinda moment or maybe just Roger accepting him as a peer. Was kinda weird. He's definitely a character.
  6. Nev375

Nev375

I agree, Roger's core talent is as a composer/producer rather than a performer. His croaky voice is supposed to be that way.

This was the first big highlight of the show. Eddies vocal breathed some new life into this old music. I wish he had done a few more with them.
  7. Richland123

Richland123

Comfortably Numb has become my least favorite Pink Floyd song because it is way overplayed on the radio and it goes on and on and on. It bores me and I turn it off as soon as I hear it on the radio.
  8. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

I've always been a big Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder fan. I've seen the band about a half dozen times, because they put on a hell of a show and Vedder sings every song like it's his last.

Roger Waters put it best, though. There was an interview after his performance, and he said "Wasn't Eddie great? I knew he was gonna sing the **** out of that!"
  9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

hadn't seen GE Smith since SNL..he did a good job
  10. Mystic Michael

Ah! Knew I'd seen that face somewhere. Was having trouble placing it.

First thought was: "I didn't know that Willem Dafoe played guitar!" :ninja:

MM
  11. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

LOL LOL LOL...GE was playing bass, touring with Roger as his bassist I read somewhere.
  12. Mystic Michael

Ah! So that's how it works! Be patient with me. I've been a Pink Floyd fan since only 1972, so I may be a bit slow to catch on. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm well aware of Roger's role. The point I'm trying to make is that if you're going to get on stage, in a performance capacity, then you have an obligation to actually perform!

I realize that Roger has his limitations, but he's had several decades in which to improve upon them. And frankly, he does himself no favors by getting up on stage at Madison Square Garden, in front of a media audience of scores of millions of people...and staggering around like a stoned orangutan. :eyebrow:

Grrrrrrr... :spit: :p

MM
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I dunno, I really liked it.

Bruce on the other hand, he was boring the crap out of me. I don't understand the love for his music at all.
  14. BassSurfer

BassSurfer Supporting Member

Passing the torch? Eddie Vedder was prominent and popular over twenty years ago. I think Pearl Jam and Pink Floyd have acknowledged each other for quite some time already..

15. JoZac21

JoZac21

I apologize tremendously - I was unaware that simply because you're older than I am your opinion is more valid than my own. Sorry about that. My bad.
  16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just awful in every way IMO. He should stop. Sounded like a reasonably good Pink Floyd tribute band with a bad singer.