1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roger Waters is legit!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I was watching "Live at Pompeii" today and am blown away by the subtle nuances of his playing, particularly in "Saucerful":

Does anyone else agree?
    Are there any other moments where Roger truly shines?

Thanks,
    Bassdude15
  2. DONZI97

DONZI97

IMO, pre Wish You Were Here, he had some great lines and fills. Seems after that though he concentrated less on bass and more on writing, and Gilmour started to do his bass parts on later recordings. But yeah I love his early bass playing, melodic, and funky at times. Check out Meddle, Obscured by Clouds and the other early albums.
  3. DONZI97

DONZI97

Also the middle funk jam in Echoes from Pompeii is pretty tasty.
  4. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Oh yeah, here also:
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gilmour did fretless on a couple tracks and now people think he played everything Floyd did. Come on, now!
  6. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

fo'real... :rollno:

+1
  7. knumbskull

knumbskull

great stuff, i've not seen the Pompeii footage before. really nice.
  8. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

I think he's more of a madman personality/songwriter, than a bassist, but he's had some great moments on the instrument.
  9. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

I love Roger Water's playing! His lines on The first Pink Floyd album are pretty great.
  10. DONZI97

DONZI97

Sorry, I should've said some recordings.
  11. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Gilmour claimed he played a lot of bass on Pink Floyd material in the '80s when 1) he had gone through a messy musical divorce from Waters and was 2) quite partial to cocaine. I imagine a half-joked, and highly arrogant "I played bass on that!" has somehow become the written word.

Waters is good on all the bootlegs from the '70s. There is no way anybody else, barring Snowy White from 1977 on, was playing the bass other than him. Live he had to recreate those lines. What I find interesting is his use of melody. Not only does he use a lot of arpeggio patterns and phrases, he often plays lines that feature a slightly different rhythm or pattern to the drums, such as a swinging bass line over a straight beat. His use of octave leaps is also pretty unique and interesting. Bootlegs tend to show this off best as he was often quite loud live.
  12. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

+1
  13. Spaldo

Spaldo

oooh, yeh!
  14. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

He's a great songwriter and he plays bass like a great songwriter, perfect parts for the song. I love Hey You, but if I was Gilmour I wouldn't be quite so proud of the bass playing on it. Intonation is awful!!
  15. oboylebass

oboylebass

C'mon now. It ain't THAT bad.
  16. pfox14

pfox14

I definitely think ok Roger Waters as first - a great songwriter - and 2nd - a bass player
  17. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

The Pompeii film is amazing. I LOVE the opening to Saucerful with him playing the cymbals and Gilmour sitting on the ground playing slide. Too bad about the bad sync, it's much more effective when synced properly. Regardless of what instrument he plays, that footage shows Waters to be a really good musician, the sound sculpting and energy there is just incredible.

This one is synced better:

And as far as bass playing by either member, it's all great - Floyd was never about technique - all ideas, feel, and sound. I think of them as the Grateful Dead of Prog. Kinda. Except that I like them.
  18. OldDog52

OldDog52

Exactly Man sez: Exactly! ;)
  19. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

I've never doubted Roger Waters. Not one bit.
  20. Nev375

Nev375

His bass playing is great. The problem is that it is outshined by his amazingly phenomenal abilities as composer, producer and writer.

Of course, if you were going to have a problem with getting recognized for your bass playing... that would be the best possible problem to have.