1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Roger Waters P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyco739z, Nov 17, 2013.

1. cyco739z

cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    Hello all.
    I was wondering if anyone could help me by telling me what a fair asking price for a Roger Waters signature P bass would be. Assuming its in great shape.
    Thanks!

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

3. cyco739z

cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    Thanks. Have you seen them for that much? I have a chance to get one locally for considerably less but want the option to at least get my money back if I dont like it. They appear to be MIM but of a higher build quality than Standard MIM P's. Do you know anything about em? Thanks again.

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I just searched the classifieds for past sales. They seem to go for about $500 on here and considerably more on ebay. If it's in decent shape and it's legit, less than $500 seems like a great deal.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cyco739z

cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    Great. Thanks for the help. I couldnt find any used ones. It might be due to my lousy phone apps. New, I guess they look to be had for $879.00.
    Most have a hideous "Wall" pickguard with his signature. Thankfully the one this guy is selling just has a plain black one. It may even be a transparent sticker.

7. RandomBox

RandomBox

I'd say around 400 to 500. Thats how much I was told I should sell mine for (although Mine has some issues with the bridge)

They're pretty nice basses for what they're worth

8. cyco739z

cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    why do some have a Wall pickguard & some dont? Does everyone change em or is it a decal? Just curious.

9. RandomBox

RandomBox

I believe its just part of the protective film/covering on the pickguard, and can be peeled off. Mine didn't even come with one, and I got it new.

10. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

The wall thing is just a decal to protect the guard , it peels right off. $500 is a fair price for a used one in good shape. The signature MIM Fenders seem to have some of the worse resale value of the fender line.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm glad because I can steal some really great basses now if I can get some folks to start bad mouthing Fodera's I might have a chance at getting one. :)

12. cyco739z

cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    Thanks. Huge help!

13. cyco739z

cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    ?

14. RandomBox

RandomBox

Resale value kinda sucks. I tried selling mine at GC and they offered 150. Nooo way. They go for at least $400 or more if in great shape.

15. cyco739z

cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    That may be more cuz
    GC kinda sucks.:eek:

16. cyco739z

cyco739z

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    They cant pay close to market value. Just quick cash for someone in need immediatly. (like if your electricity was shut off!) Did you enf up selling it?

17. levis76

levis76

People that think resale shops should pay exactly what something is worth drives me nuts. Use your brain, they have to resell it AND make money otherwise they'd go out of business, therefore, no they can not pay you what it's worth.

GC will offer you more for it than just about any pawn/resale/consignment shop because GC has a standard policy of giving 60% of the going used market price for whatever you want to trade. Most other resale shops will only offer 40~50%, often times less if they think they can get away with it or you look like the sucker of the day.

You want to get the current used price for your piece of gear, sell it yourself.

Now I'll step off my soapbox and address the OPs question, Yeah a Roger Waters P bass for less than $500 in good condition is a pretty good deal. Not only are they better quality than a standard MIM P, but they have a brass nut and I believe nicer tuners and bridge. I read somewhere that the p'up was different as well but I can't find any info on the web to back that up, so it may not be correct. In any event, I'd grab it up and if you don't like it, sell it here on TB and maybe make a few $$.

18. RandomBox

RandomBox

I didn't. I'm actually not selling it at all anymore. I was originally going to sell it to get a cheap jazz bass (fretless offbrand) and new pickups for said fretless, but my parents are going to help me with it as a birthday/christmas gift. (yes, my parents actually help me with musical stuff since I'm technically still a minor and just lost my job)

So now I get to keep my first good bass.

19. RandomBox

RandomBox

The pup is a seymour duncan SPB-3

20. Kroni

Kroni

RW Bass is A great Bass, better quailty than your standard MIM Fender for sure, I recently switched my black Hardware for the Chrome/Nickel Hardware.

if anyone needs the Black Hardware from my RW Bass( Black, Barrel knobs, Bridge, & pickguard screws) let me know I'll sell 'em too ya.

21. Wallace320

Wallace320

It's indeed a keeper, or it should rather be

It bears a one ply black vinyl pickguard, and the "the wall" representation is nothin' more than pickguard protection sticker... nobody would buy it otherwise and sure the "real thing" doesn't have any on.

Its split pickup is a "bassline unmarked" Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound, brass nut, chunky glossy neck with no skunk stripe, Fender engraved Vintage open gear tuner and neck heel plate

The thing somebody stated about its price is way too much I think... like Blink 182 Mark Hoppus' signature, it goes for $. 729.00 (who would buy it for $. 879.00?) while correct resale price is around $. 480.00 if so and so, $. 530.00 if untouched

Cheers,
    Wallace