Roku vs similar devices?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bongomania, Dec 23, 2013.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I know we've had several Roku threads, but the ones I've seen were all about whether to go streaming and cut off the cable TV. I've already been using a Roku for a couple years and like it, and I'm looking to upgrade to a current model--so my question is "should I consider a different streaming box instead?" Any competing products worth considering?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'm very happy with my Apple TV.

I suppose it's mostly worth it cuz I've purchased a ton of music from iTunes and a few movies. I have an ipad so mirroring is nice.

The youtube interface is good and hbogo is there. Not sure if roku has that.

The one huge annoyance is how tiny the remote is.
  3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

I'm able to sync all my music on iTunes using the Plex Channel on the Roku. I have an Apple TV at work, and intended to bring it home to figure it out, but I accidentally left it at work, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I get to futz with it. At work, my students use it with iPads to share interpretations of novels we're reading.
  4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

They launched some new channels recently, like The History Channel, A&E and a few that are for streaming media form computers, tablets and other devices. Looks like they're trying hard to step up and compete.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I have a HTPC hooked up to my TV, but I also game on it, which is likely outside of your scope :p. The new PS4/XBone look OK, but might still be overkill. If you're happy with Roku, just stick with it.
  7. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I'll be getting a Chromecast in the next few weeks. It's silly cheap, and the reviews are generally very positive.
  8. ifallalot

ifallalot

If you already have other Apple devices you can't beat the AppleTV.
  9. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

We have only just stepped into the future with an internet connection fast enough to stream anything (had DSL until a month ago!).

Anyway, decided to give the streaming thing a try on the cheap and went with Chromecast. It was easy to set up and so far it's been working well. Please note that it only works with youtube and Netflix at the moment (so yes, of course we had to sign up for Netflix too).

Anyway, we have been really pleased. Family has been hitting the Netflix via Chromecast almost daily.

Also, it seems you can stream Pandora through it as well although this is not advertised as a feature. But when I have fired up pandora, the "cast" icon shows up and it never did before.
  10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming.

My main reason for wanting to upgrade is the newer version supports subtitles on/off, and Spotify, so I'm curious if these others do too.
  11. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

It works now with HBO, Hulu, Pandora, Vevo and more.

Also, check out the "plex" app, which allows you to stream anything to your Chromecast.
  12. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Really!?!? Fantastic, I'll be checking this out ASAP! Thanks for the heads up!
  13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Got my daughter a Roku3 for Christmas. Thanks for the info on apps....