Roland Bass Cubes - No Love?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Jan 18, 2014.

1. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

There doesn't seem to be much mention of these amps on here. Are they crap? Seems to me that they have a lot of features for the money but I've never played through one so I don't know how good they are. Any comments?
  2. Sartori

Sartori

Another bassist around here has one, and it's a neat little combo.
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yep, TB member "Joe Nerve" said he has the Roland Microcube and absolutely loves it.
  4. Sartori

Sartori

By "here," I meant my actual location, ha ha. But yeah, him, too.
  5. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

I had one and it was a blast. I actually got a sweet deal on it at best buy as part of their big close out. Unfortunately it began having some issues after about six months. I had to return it and couldn't get a new one because I got it on clearance so they just refunded my money.

Until it had issues it was a great little amp too. Not much power wise but with the onboard effects and drum machine it was actually fun.

Don't know if I'd pay the full boat of $279 for it though.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

There is tons of love for the microcube on here, I profess my love for mine regularly. A little pricey for a practice amp but the features cannot be denied. Also, pretty much every busker I have seen for the last few years used one.

I have debated turning mine into a preamp as the amp modelling is soooo much better than my Zoom B3.
  7. Dradder

Dradder

I've thought about that, too. Were you considering pulling the electronics out and putting them into a separate box minus the original speakers, or something like that?
  8. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

The Cube-30 Bass (CB-30) is my practice amp at home. It's a versatile amp with MP3 in (Aux in), headphone out, and will rattle the windows at the turn of a knob.

This amp is not a micro version! Granted, the micros do have many fans.
  9. MakoMan

MakoMan

The Roland Cube bass amps are fantastic amps for their specs and power. Here's the problem... they're waaaay overpriced new for what you get. For the price of a Roland Cube 20W bass practice amp you could get an amp you can actually gig with.
  10. grey area

grey area

if you want a practice amp, ie bedroom, midnight inspiration workout,friend with accoustic song workouts, even VERY quiet, small accoustic beach jams then a micro cube is the kiddy. i would not be without mine. i also have the 30 watt mini cube when i need a LITTLE more volume ,ie more than one accoustic guitar but it does not have the beat box or ability to run on batteries and is slowly receding in its use as my little GK MB 200 shows its mettle. IMHO the micro is a little wonder even if a little expencive.

good luck
  11. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Media:
    I had one 120XL, a normal cube. Roland cubes are great amps for small gigs and practice. Amp simulator is very realistic, has a coaxial tweeter for slaps and good effects, so you don't need to take pedalboards, and has a great tone for fretless. My midnight-dawn microamp is a Crate BT-10.
  12. soulman969

soulman969

Well said. These are great bass amps and Roland makes great Cube guitar amps as well using the same COSM modeling technology and those also have built in effects. They just aren't as well promoted as many other lines.

But as MakoMan points out Roland prices their bass amps so far above comparable amps from other manufacturers few buy them new. The Cube guitar amps are a fair bargain but their bass amps run an average of 50%-55% more than their guitar amps.

Both the guitar amps and the bass amps have great tone and features and they're quite ballsy given their small size but it's hard to justify a $599 street price for a 120w 1x12 bass combo or $449 for a 60w 1x10 version. If they sold for $200 less as their guitar amps do I believe more would buy them.
  13. sk8

sk8

I've got a 60xl and love it. It's a great practice amp and has kept up with all the bands I practice with and allows me to travel without my effects
  14. bmc

bmc

I bought a CB100 about five years ago as a practice amp. I ended up using it for more gigs than my other larger amps. It is very well built. The amp is optimized to delivered the best bass sound for such a small cab. Lots of versatile sounds and effects. I run mine flat with no effects. Very portable. Best played on the floor for coupling effect.

You don't hear much about them here. But those that have or had them find them to be great amps. They don't have great visual appeal, I guess.
  15. cruk48

cruk48

Had a CB100 for several years. Practise & small gigs. Not cheap, but very well made & reliable. Ext cab out so could make a 2x12 stack. Well worth considering.
  16. gleneg61

gleneg61

I had the 30w cube as a home practice amp for about 5 yrs n it was great, no probs n lotsa fun. I'd say a lotta respect 4 the series on TB.
  17. pudgychef

pudgychef

think the smaller ones sound great - picked up a D-Bass combo and had nothing but issues...was very finicky in terms of power supply..

When it was happy, it sounded great

Would certainly pick-up a smaller Cube for practice and rehearsal
  18. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

I love my Roland Bass Cube 30, the B-Man setting is KILLER!!!!
  19. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

I've got the guitar version, and it's a fantastic little amp. I'm guessing the bass version is just as good. I'll get one eventually...
  20. Personatech

Personatech

I bought one of the first Roland Cube 60s (orange tolex!) back in '82 or so and owned it for a good 15 years. Great little amp - very warm for a solid state combo.