1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roland Cube 100 - speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Jan 3, 2011.

1. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Supporting Member

I've got a Cube 100 which I dig, but I was wondering about upgrading the speaker to one of the Eminence Kappalite 3012's. Any advice? Experience?

The stock Cube speaker has a tweeter in the middle of it... so, not 100% sure on how it's hooked up. But I NEVER like, nor use the tweeter in any of my cabs....
  2. henryjurstin13

3. greenboy

greenboy

Disclosures:
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Do it! And do report back to us on how well it works!

I'm not aware of a 3012 though. There's a 3012LF, and there's a 3012HO.
  4. gbarchus

gbarchus

I had the earlier generation Cube 100 and replaced the stock speaker with an EV15L. What an improvement!

Gale
  5. guylewis

guylewis

Disclosures:
    owner, bassguitarthumbrests.com & classicguitarboxes.com
    I did it with a Deltalite 2512 on a Cube Bass 100.

The speaker cut-out needed some(alot) adjustment to fit the new speaker's thicker basket.

As the 2512's frame was cast, it was thicker than the Roland's pressed steel one - this caused some problems with it fouling the grille.

It did sound a bit better though.

In the end I swapped the Roland back to original spec. and made a lightweight cabinet, using Eminences designs, for the 2512 to use as an extension.

I've now sold the Roland and use the home-built cab with a Markbass LM250 which I prefer to the Cube Bass in every respect..... and I was a BIG fan of the Roland.
  6. henryjurstin13

I still don't have my hands on a new speaker yet... but, I finally got around to checking out the inside of my Cube 100. I took a few internal pics in case anyone else is interested, like I was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know why the negative spade is roughly HALF the size of the positive spade?
  7. henryjurstin13

I'd like to bump this old thread of mine to see if there are anymore thoughts on speaker upgrades for this lil guy... still an awesome amp, just curious about maybe lightening the load as well getting a lil more efficiency out of this amp.
  8. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Looks like a well built amp. The stock driver is 8 ohms and an extension speaker would be wired in series. That would most likely decrease the amount of available power, so it's not really a useful option. The manual does not show a tweeter on/off switch. Have you tried just disconnecting the tweeter?

Without knowing what kind of tone you like it's difficult to recommend another driver. For operation 'wide open' and without a tweeter, I would recommend the Eminence Deltalite II 2512 or the Faital Pro 12PR300. For a small sealed cabinet (the Cube 100 cab appears to be about 1.5 cf) I would favor the Faital because it will provide a somewhat stronger, punchier low and mid bass, and has a more extended and even response above 1 kHz. Either will likely require sone widening of the speaker hole in order to accommodate a cast frame. I suspect either will significantly more sensitive (louder) and be a couple of pounds lighter than the stock driver.

As you said, the amp is quite nice as is. If you really want something louder and with the option of tweeter less operation you might consider another amp. For a light weight but louder combo with a more robust tone consider one of the Markbass, TC Electronic, GK or GB Shuttle combos.

Good luck!
  9. henryjurstin13

Astro - I've not tried to disconnect the tweeter yet, as I don't want to chance messing up anything at the moment. I don't want another amp, I've got other amps - and this is only a lil practice amp at the moment.... but, I wouldn't mind shedding a lil weight & reaping the benefits of a better cone (PA speaker or not).
  10. AstroSonic

If you can solder, just disconnect one end of the 3.3uf cap (it's the crossover for the tweeter). Put some tape over the disconnected end, then put the driver back in and try it out.

The Cube 100 appears to be a well engineered and nicely built amp. If you like the tone (with the exception of the tweeter), maybe that is all that needs to be done. Keep in mind that putting a driver with a great rep into the Cube 100 cab may or may not result in improved tone. However, a driver with higher sensitivity (than the stock driver) and adequate Xmax wii play louder than the stock driver, and the amp may shed a few pounds as well.
  11. 5port

5port

The higher sensitivity speaker is the way to go. I've used a 3015 (non-lf) in my 300W Ibanez combo and it increased the spl and clearity big time. Ignore that passive tweeter circuit that is attached to your speaker the amp doesnt know its there. Go with the 3012 non-lf. You will be happy.
  12. AstroSonic

5port said "The higher sensitivity speaker is the way to go. I've used a 3015 (non-lf) in my 300W Ibanez combo and it increased the spl and clearity big time. Ignore that passive tweeter circuit that is attached to your speaker the amp doesnt know its there. Go with the 3012 non-lf. You will be happy."

The Cube 100 is evidently one of several amps, is used only as a practice amp and is only 100w. Good as the 3012HO is, the Faital is equally sensitive, has a more linear response, weighs 2 pounds less and costs substantially less. The Deltalite is about 2db less sensitive, but has a lower Fs than the Faital and HO, and costs a little less than the Faital. All 3 are fine drivers. None of them will be taxed by the available 100w.
  13. djonins

djonins

In fact, that speaker IS the best part of Roland (I have bought two as spare parts and have them installed in "Vector Research" sponge damped subwoofer boxes (I threw out the original speakers and amplifiers and now I have two "elegant" cube Hi-Fi speakers for my Sony STR-6800SD). One "Sony" channel is a lot better - cleaner sounding and of audibly higher power than "Roland". The capacitor on the speaker should be replaced by audio-grade block capacitor and 2.2uF only, not 4.7uF as original by "Roland". "Roland" power is 50W RMS (only) with internal speaker and external speaker is connected in parallel for 4 Ohms and full 100W RMS (bridged digital TDA chip for stereo systems 2X50W). The secret of "Roland" is in fact in this incredibly efficient and soft rubber hanged speaker. Any heavier speaker (as "Eminence") is actually choking this small amplifier, there is no power to drive it.
  14. djonins

djonins

The best combination would be the "old" orange Cube Bass 60 with this (Cube 100) new speaker and new Cube 100 cabinet. Going "digital" has been half-way done (excellent pre-amp) because of this tiny TDA output stage (50W RMS).