1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Roland Cube 120XL

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Low84, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

i've seen a few scattered comments on the Roland Cube 120XL amp over the past few months. i'm currently considering purchasing one. i'd love to hear from those of you who use the 120XL on a regular basis... pros, cons, likes, dislikes, etc.

thanks much!

2. pathalogical

pathalogical

I have the CB 100 amp purchased new in 2011. I paid $620 + tax CDN, more expensive than similar size (1x12) amps. I like very much, but just use it for home playing. I also have a JC 120, bought in 1987, so Roland is not new to me. I chose the CB 100 because not many bass amps have built in effects, these two bass amps have several built in. I'm using my Jazz with the Session amp model but my Charvel 1B sounds good on the BMan. The Octave setting, to me, doesn't really sound good, kinda like the distortion on the JC 120. The Twah is ~ok~ but not really my kind of sound. I usually keep the volume on 3 and gain 0, increasing to V=5 and G=2 has a nice clear sound and punch. The Shape feature is nice too. I don't use the compression much but I do use the Boss ODB-3 with it. Have fun with it if you buy it, for me it's a keeper !

3. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

I have a 120XL, is a reputable amp, is powerfull and the tone is very flat. I love it because IMO 12" speaker are ideal for fretless. Pros: good gain control, passable compressor, good reverbs and delays (with loops), 4 band EQ, 2 channels, speaker output (without turning off original speaker), tuner, good quality amp simulators, passable phone/record output, D.I. pré/post EQ, D.I. ground on/off, 3 switches outputs to control effects, very good. Cons: Terrible drive and chorus, much weight, no switch to on/off tweeter, price.

4. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

great playing, Fernando! and that's a nice test drive of a lot of different sounds out of that amp. sounds nice!

i just sold an Ampeg BA-112... 12-inch speaker. yes, i like 12's.

i wish the 120XL had an on/off switch for the tweeter too. hmmmmm... not a deal-breaker... but something to think about.

thanks for the demo!

5. Register to disable this ad