1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roland Cube 40 Bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Fajah, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Fajah

Fajah

Hi,

A Roland Cube 40 bass amp has recently come up for sale locally that's about 4 years old. For some reason, I can't find any info on it. Does anyone own or know anything about these amps?

Any info would be appreciated.
  2. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Is it different from the present model?
  3. Fajah

Fajah

As far as I can see, there isn't a Cube 40 Bass in Roland's present line up. There's no mention of a Cube 40 in their list of manuals (at the Roland website). However, the seller says it's 4 years old and in perfect shape.

I'm going to see it on Saturday morning anyway, but I would like to find some info and original pricing on it. I have no idea as to what these are worth.
  4. soulman969

soulman969

Here's a YouTube demo of a Super Cube Bass 40. This is from 2007 so that would put it in the era of when these amps were made.

5. Fajah

Fajah

Thanks. I saw that video which was uploaded in 2007, but I did get hold of a manual which was published in August 1984.
  6. Cadfael

Cadfael

The Super CUBE BASS 40 was introduced in 1984!!!
    Production stopped in 1989 ...
    Does it have a silver housing???

The "2003 CUBE" was the CUBE 30 BASS ...

I wrote the "Roland Amplifier Trilogy" (Bass, Guitar, Keyboard/Multi-Purpose), supported by Roland Germany.
    This History consists ALL ever built Roland amplifiers from 1972 to 2011 (and the ACE TONE amps before 1972).

I also posted Roland USA but they did never react. Roland Germany was impressed by my "hobby work" (research and making the history cost me more than 2000 hours of work). I was also invited to meet the R&D Amplifiers manager from Japan (on the Musikmesse Frankfurt).

Here is a link to my Trilogy (only in German - but you find all Roland Bass amlifiers with production data, footswitchs, tables +++): http://www.bossmusik.de/tipps/amps
    Roland Germany put it onto their own website - but I AM NO ROLAND EMPLOYEE!
  7. Fajah

Fajah

It does have a silver housing.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. In the meantime, I contacted the seller and informed him that I decided to pass on the amp. It's too old and I think he was asking too much for it ($180 CDN). I'm looking for a second combo amp for occasional use.

I'm a big fan of Roland amps for guitar for I have Cube 60 and a Micro Cube. If I could find a Cube Bass amp at a reasonable price locally, I'd go for it. Right now I have my eye on a TC Electronic BG-250 which I can buy new for $399.
  8. Cadfael

Cadfael

If your're a big Roland fan, look for a used CB-100 BASS.
    I have one and played it in a band. I also have a Roland D-BASS 115 and connected both (as a CB-100 has many Outs).
    My practise amp is a MicroCUBE RX BASS. Knowing the "practise sounds" I could easily switch over to my "big" CB-100.

When I met the Roland R&D manager in 2011 I gave him a self made "concept study" of an active extension cab vor the 120XL. It would have had the same speaker and would have been extandable to no limit other extension cabs (a concept Roland had in the 1980s).
    I know they are Japanese and didn't expect too much. Well; nothing happened (so far) ...

It's a shame because a CB-100 or CB-120XL with a 120 watts active extension cab would have been a (popular) 212, strong and modular "tower" ...

As the 120XL is much more expensive than a BG-250, this might be the right decision.
    The EBS Classic Session 120 is to expensive I suppose?

I once tried the Ibanez Promethean 500 combo. If I wasn't a Roland fan I would have bought it! The Promethean 300 combo has the same price as the BG-250 in Canada?
  9. Fajah

Fajah

I've been playing through an LMII/Berg AE112 for years and has met all my needs. At one time, I had a second AE112 cab that resided at my friend's (and drummer) house where we practiced so that all I had to do was carry my head back and forth. It was quite convenient.

I don't know what the prices are here for the Ibanez or who now carries them in Toronto. Club Bass used to but not any longer. I don;t need allot of horsepower or features because it's for rehearsing at lower volumes. The BG-250 seems like a good balance between price, output, weight, and speaker size. It will be residing at my keyboard player's home most of the time.

Most combo amps, or even cabs, that I've seen in the used market locally are old and heavy.
  10. Cadfael

Cadfael

The BG-250 has a 15" speaker and is not "light weight" (as far as I remember).
    BUT it is surely a very good amp and will satisfy your needs. I don't want to say: "Buy another brand/amp.", but:"There are alternatives ...

The Ibanez Promethen 300 is available with a 15" (no additional cab) and a 10" speaker (extendable with an 8 Ohms speaker). Your rehersal room might be on the 5th floor - the amp itself puts no limit, only your personal constitution. Most people will not like to carry a 50 lbs+ amp to the 5th floor ...

I was impressed about the sound of the Ibanez Proethean 500 10" speaker! I am a fan of 60s/70s Rock bass sound or Motown. I hate slapping. But the Proethean had this warm and punchy sound I prefer! You can also turn it into a slap-machine ...

In Germany most people buy beer in "reusable" strong plastic boxes with 20 0.5 litre glas bottles inside. As a beer drinker I measure bass amps in "beer boxes". That's a weight I carry every week and I know the weight inside out. That's 16kg - and even to carry for a chain smoker like me.
    The CUBE CB-100 has 16 kgs!
    I would NEVER buy a 25kg amp again!
    The Ibanez Promethan 3110 weights 10kg, the 3115 17 kg ...

Without an external cab the 3110 has 150-200 watts - which would be enough. With an additional 8 Ohms cab it has the full 300 watts. This means that you can use the 10 kg "dwarf" for club gigs, rehersal +++
    When you need to play open air, take an extension cab and you have full power with a bigger speaker surface. But you only need to carry the "extra" with you when you need it ...

Someone in Toronto should be Ibanez dealer?
    No way to get the amp in Toronto? Where else in Canada???

In Germany the 3115 15" version costs the same as the BG-250, the 3110 10" version is even cheaper than the BG-250 ...