Roland CUBE Street EX (battery powered)

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by selowitch, Mar 22, 2014.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

2. DogBone

DogBone

Wow, looks much more than adequate to me, I'd love to have something like that for busking.

One of my former bands had a couple of Carvin's excellent S400 Stagemates (100 watt) that we used for a some of our infamous remote overnight gigs/drunkfests where there was no electricity, and they worked GREAT for bass.

Unfortunately it looks like Carvin has discontinued them but the Roland looks like a worthy successor to the title of ultimate busking amp.

Just FYI, for a much more economical suggestion I am happy enough using my battery powered two channel Crate TX30 for street busking, and I would imagine the Pignose Hog 30 would be a similar contender.

Anway, the Roland looks great, thanks for the heads up.
  3. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Wow that looks amazing. If only I had $500 lying around...... I don't even think my bass is worth that much :bag::atoz:
  4. big evil robot

big evil robot

Cube Streets are great.
    For busking, you also may want to look at the AC-33 acoustic amp. I found they do bass tones just as well, and they are a little lighter in weight although a little less power (30 watts total, 15+15 stereo)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. selowitch

My dilemma will be whether to get this beauty or a bass-only solution like the Phil Jones Double-Four and let the other instrumentalists and vocalists I accompany work their own stuff out.
  7. selowitch

Also, at only 50 watts, isn't there a risk that there won't be sufficient power?

Pretty nifty unboxing vid here.
  8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My keyboard player is thinking of getting one of these for the summer. Roland's official video there does absolutely nothing to sell it. Maybe if they actually recorded the sound of it in a live setting.

50 watts ought to be more than enough for hanging out on a street corner.
  9. selowitch

I'm wondering if a bass would so okay through this thing along with a mic and a guitar. I'm pretty skeptical.
  10. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Hey Selowitch, still contemplating the Street Ex! Maybe get your bandmates together and hit the shop, get everybody plugged in to see if it meets your needs? Is that possible?

And Dogbone's here too. The Usual Suspects. :D

Maybe we should start a thread dedicated to all the buskers on TB to exchange ideas, if such a thread doesn't already exist.

The Street Ex is only 25w per side. So it's less powerful than I thought. Mind, the Bass Rx is only 2.5w per side.

My concern would be that the bass would eat up the watts and compromise the other instruments. This happened with a small Fender Passport PA one of my bands tried out at a gig. We wanted to see if everything could be run through the PA, Vocals, Guitar, PeiPa and Bass. When I honked on the bass, the PA couldn't keep up and the vocals and other instruments would "brown out" like a light bulb dimming, their volume (the overall volume) would dip significantly. That was with a steady stream of juice from the wall outlet, not batteries.

Maybe the Street Ex with a Bass Rx is the ticket...

Still eagerly awaiting someone else to pull the trigger on this supposed busker's best buddy box...
    :bag:

I found this link from some of the Roland demos I was watching. The BA-330 might be more suited to some people's needs...
  11. jswigal

jswigal

While riding the subway in NYC I came across a band (I still can't get over the novelty of there being bands almost everywhere at all times...wonderful!) using a battery powered Roland amp. The bass player was using the Roland, and the guitar player (if I remember correctly) had some tiny thing attached to his strap, but the electric guitar, and the bass (vintage Fender Jazz Bass) sounded great, even on a noisy and crowded subway car. Seemed to be the perfect volume for non-amplified vocals and the tiny snare-drum with brushes their drummer was using. The bass tone was surprisingly full as well...for the size of the thing...
  12. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Will the bass sound okay... it's all relative to your expectations.

Using this as a PA for the whole band is pushing it to the max. The bass will be there, but not nearly as present as if this were a standard 110vac plug in PA. Remember... the speakers are just 8"... would a bass cab with 8" speakers sound wonderful?

For what it is... battery powered amplification... it's amazing. I've heard several on the streets of NYC. Mostly guitar/singer stuff with the occasional extra singer or keyboard and once a bass player tossed into the mix. Although the one time I heard a bass player she had her own roland... did not share.