1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roland DB-100 vs. Acoustic B100

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Nov 11, 2012.

?

Which of these amps would work better for rehearsing and small indoor gigs?

1. Roland DB100

21 vote(s)
    22.8%
  2. Acoustic B100

37 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Carrots

34 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

I have a choice between these two amps as I look forward to upgrading. I think these are my best choices for getting into "rehearsing to small indoor gigs" stage amp-wise. I've played through the Roland, which I found used at my local GC, and I like two things about it primarily: the built-in distortion, and the built-in chorus. On the other hand, I have played through other Acoustic amps and absolutely LOVE their sound. I think the B100 has a drive circuit as well.

A few details: The Roland is selling for $300 currently; the Acoustic is available on MF for $250 as a restock and $300 for one in-stock now. I'd be competing sonically in a metal environment with one, possibly two other guitars, also playing through combo amps (don't know the exact wattage). I'd prefer an ability to mesh with effects, as I'll probably want to add pedals to the chain in time.

Give your vote one way or the other, and feel free to explain why you voted the way you did.
  2. txthrashking

txthrashking

As a thrash bass (obviously) id go with hartke, but of those 2 id choose acoustic cuz you can bump that to 3 on volume and mix well

personally id go with a hartke (kickback 15) cuz you can buy em at gc used for 200 and thy are TANKS, built like a brick **** house and sound like gold
    thats my two cents
  3. Hamlet7768

I'll check out the Hartke, thanks!

To everyone else...why is the plurality picking carrots?
  4. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

I like Rolands bass amps but I don't think either of those will give you enough power for what you're looking to do.
  5. Inconnu

Inconnu

I had problems with a Roland amp... the speaker just doesn't seem to handle the low end of an active bass, even when using the active bass input. At the price you want to pay, you might want to check out used Yorkville or Traynor amps. They are built to last and sound pretty good.
  6. Hamlet7768

Alright, odds look against Roland. Bumping this back to the front page. Anybody else have a vote, or another amp brand I should look at? I'm looking at amps similar in wattage and price to those amps, preferably with an overdrive or distortion option.
  7. kingmusicism

kingmusicism

and a 6x3' hollow coffee table to set it on
  8. IZE

IZE

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

IMHO Hartke kickbacks are poor quality.
    I bought one and got rid of it in 2 weeks.
  10. Mugre

Mugre

Roland over Acoustic because of poor build quality of the Acoustics. The shop I work in does warranty for both so I've seen a few of both even though most of the acoustics go to the GC depot.

Mugre
  11. dabbler

dabbler

Please elaborate.
  12. Hamlet7768

Poor build quality? How so?
  13. PDQ

PDQ

I got the B100 but for a lot less- pretty shure the b200 has been running arround that arround me...FWIW.. I play w/3 Gtrs/drummer /me playing rockabilly/s.rock and this unit held up well.I keep the vol about 3-4 to blend well. I do find you need it get it off the floor to drive the sound well( I use an old piano bench)
    The gtrs use combo's in the 50/ 75w range - so we're no metalica...but in a small venu things get loud quick and i use active washburn basses through it too. I may build a 210 cab for it as i have the xtra speakers LOL.
    and previous amp was Peavey Basic112 cranked to 10 most of the time :bassist:
  14. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Supporting Member

+1 Peavey has built solid gear for 35 plus years and I've never had issues with them.. even when dropping them off the back of trucks... Sweetwater now has the Peavey Max 115 for 299. You will not find a better deal for the money. 15" speaker and 300 watts of power. Plus PEAVEY! Good luck... :bassist: