1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Roland DB-500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played one these today and I thought I had great volume and tone. It was not super light, but it comes with wheels. Can anybody share feedback on this little combo?

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I have the DB 700 , which has the 15, and it's my go to combo for small gigs, even without PA support. I love the compressor on these amps, and it is conservatively rated at 275 watts ( my tech says it's almost 300 ). I put it up on a tilt back stand, and it is perfect. The memory function is a bonus, and a good chorus if that's your thing. I also love the slap tone on this combo, even if it is a cheap tweeter, combined with the compressor, it gives me a nice, squishy slap and pop tone. On the heavy side for sure, but well worth it imho.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the info!

4. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    I have a db700 as well and the powered extension-excellent
    Db700 is heavy but the ext is light-neo speaker.
    Older DBs are made in USA.
    Very underated combos,had mine for 10 years now and never missed a beat

5. Sponsored by:

6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The old, now defunct, guitar store here had a DB700 on their floor for years and years, and it was always a treat to play through it.

Big, heavy, and very expensive, but it sounded great and Roland makes durable stuff.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I checked out some reviews and see this was a pretty expensive amp. The one I saw is $300 and the tone is wonderful. It's very loud too. I think I might get it or get a TC Electronic combo.

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I always wondered what the powered extension would sound like with the DB 700. Do you stack the the extension underneath the 700 ?

9. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yes, these were very expensive if I recall. $1000+.

If everything works on it, I would say $300 is a very good deal.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I think Alain Caron used these rigs (combo amp plus extension cab) for awhile before switching to Markbass. Very expensive so I don't think they sold a lot of units. Good rigs from my understanding.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm getting for sure.

12. hgiles

hgiles

Nov 8, 2012
    Virginia
    Theres a fellow on CL trying to sell a DB500 with a black widow 12 in it. I couldnt get any info from TB on it so I passed on it.

My dad alway like Roland gear and many of my friends use their stuff (keyboard).

13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

The one I owned very briefly was very boxy sounding, more apparent to longer I used it so off it went.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I took my TL-5 to the shop and played it through the DB 500 and my bass sang like I never heard it before! I love the tone of this combo like nothing I have heard before. It is clean beyond words!

I put it on hold to pick up after Christmas.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The one downside if this amp is that it is so clean, it's going to make me have to upgrade the preamp and shielding in my TL-5. Still, there's no rush because my TL-5 sounds incredible passive through that DB-500.