1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Roland GR-33 and a Godin A4

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Landy67, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Landy67

Landy67 Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Does anyone know if they work together?

My brother has one, and he uses it with a Carvin Nylon string guitar that has a built in 13 pin synth connection. He wants to upgrade to a Roland GR-55, and give me the "hand-me-down" GR-33 to use with my Godin A4 Ultra. (not bad since he's the little brother that got my hand-me-down ugly sweaters, jackets, and ice-skates)

I tried it out today, but it doesn't work the same way with my A4 as it does with the guitar. With the guitar, you can hear the guitar and the synth, with the bass, it only works with a few notes, and you can't hear the bass, just the effects of the synth.

Has anyone tried to use a GR-33 with a bass, and does it work?

2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

The current GK3b pickup is advertised as being compatible with the GR55, Gi20, V-Bass and GR20 ver.2. An October 2004 update to the GR20 was made available for download so if you can find that you'll be good to go.

3. Landy67

Media:
    I found the GR20 "Updater for Bass Compatibility" and the date on it is October 8 2004. The GR20 patch is compatible with the GR33 synth?

4. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

Sorry Landy, I confused the GR33 with the GR20 in the post. It was late and I'd just got off a long flight. I think you're out of luck. The GR33 is 4-5 years older than the GR20 and Roland makes no mention of any compatibility with the bass version pickup. They specifically mention the ver.2 GR20 which, in Roland-speak means nothing prior will work. The good news, if any, is that GR20's are 10 years old now and should go for around $150 used. You already have the hex pickup built in ($200) so you're halfway there at least. Look around and you should find a few for sale as a lot of people that bought the GR stuff didn't like the tracking or programming or didn't want to drill their guitar for the pickup. Good luck, don't expect flawless tracking or the ability to sound like a 4 string 100 piece orchestra but if you take the time to program usable patches the sounds can be stellar. I use my GR33b - analog 1981 edition - for sub harmonics, swells and filter sweeps. Very much an effect pedal rather than an instrument on its own.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gumtown

gumtown Supporting Member

The GR-33 is not compatable with bass, it is only designed to work in the guitar frequency range.
    See if you can try your bro's GR-55 with it switched to bass mode,
    the GR-55 is awesum with a bass (and GK-3B or equivalent 13 pin hex pickup required).

7. Landy67

Media:
    Due to a situation beyond my brother's control, I have the GR-55 for the week. So far, I'm not real happy with the A4 and the GR-55. The GR seems to be far too sensitive for a fretless. It seems like any movement of my fretting fingers causes the notes to jump. I put my tuner on and watched. All I have to be off by is a fraction of a note and it changes what I'm playing.

The guitar isn't nearly as sensitive.

8. gumtown

Did you do the "GK Set" setup, setting the string sensitivites, nuance, play-feel settings.
    Also in the system midi menu, switch off "chormatic" and it will allow note bends/slides.

9. Landy67

Media:
    I found a few references to the Godin A4 pickup saddles "cross talking." I'll try the setup, but I think I need to spend some time with the manual. Most of the settings play the bass as loud, or louder than the effect. I need to figure out how to use the thing correctly.

10. gumtown

Try this free editor software i put together for the GR-55
    Makes editing and tweaking the GR-55 a breeze with all the settings graphically laid out.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

100's of user patches bundled with it to try too.

The GR-55 will need setting up for that bass, select the correct 13 pickup type (piezo) and adjust the string settings to reduce cross talk.

11. Landy67

Media:
    I have the GR-55 again, and I'm trying to set it up again. When I get to the setup for the pickups I have 5 choices GK-3B, GK-2B, Piezo, Piezo G and Piezo R. The Godin A4 has separate saddles for each string. Any idea which pickup type I should try?

FYI: This is why I now have the GR-55 Bad Day

12. gumtown

It's piezo,
    for more info try VGuitar Forums