1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roland PK5 vs Roland PK6

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by IguanaBass, Jun 5, 2013.

1. IguanaBass

IguanaBass

Hi. Does anyone can explain me the differences between Roland PK5 and Roland PK6 pedalboards? Is necessary an external midi sound source or it is possible to "load" the midi patches into the pedalboards?. Thanks a lot.
  2. jef4490

jef4490

As an owner of the PK-5, I believe the real difference is a few additional features on the newer (6) model. Both will require an external midi module (be it a keyboard with sounds or a standalone module) and are unable to have sounds loaded into them. PK-6 might be a bit more user friendly.
  3. IguanaBass

IguanaBass

Thanks jef4490! Have you experienced some alternative pedal board to control a keyboard synth.?
  4. jef4490

jef4490

I have dabbled around with a few others, but I am very happy with the pk-5, which I use for live performance several times monthly. For the price, I would say the pk-5 is the most sturdy and legitimate pedal controller on the market. The Moog Taurus 3 of course are another very good option (and those have their own sounds on board in addition to being able to act as a midi controller), but the price is not really in the same ballpark as the pk-5. So it depends what you're looking for.

This thread also has some other options, including a lot of DIY alternatives.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/bass-pedal-taurus-roland-midi-etc-club-781414/
  5. IguanaBass

IguanaBass

Thanks jef your info is very useful!
  6. JohnBindon

JohnBindon

Jeff and Iguana - I also have the Roland PK-5 dynamic pedals. I'm totally new with these pedals - from reading I see and understand that I need a midi sound module.

The sounds I'm looking for are mainly low, droning, sustaining bass notes. What MIDI sound module would you recommend for me ?

I've read in some forums that certain MIDI sound modules don't project enough power for a live performance.

I'd also prefer that there be some orchestral sounds in the MIDI unit as well - say violins, cellos and violas.
  7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I use this foot pedal for playing synth string pad chords for some Pink Floyd covers we do live.

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/12step/tour