1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roland V-Bass Stuff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JehuJava, Feb 15, 2014.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava I endorse myself Supporting Member

So, what do you guys think about the Roland V-Bass stuff, old and new, compared to the new effect heavy hitters (strymon, eventide...ok not so new, etc)? Worthy competitor or stick with traditional boxes?

I'm talking for more ambient spaced out noise as opposed to straight up rock.
  2. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

Seems like it's nearly impossible to find any decent information, reviews, or sounds from different versions of the V-Bass stuff. I've been looking all over for some kind of info on the differences between the newer VB-99 and the V-Bass stuff from before it, but haven't found much at all. The only sound samples I can even find are from the VB-99. I'm really curious as to how the older system sounds, but I can't even find an official model name for it.
  3. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

It never was very appealing to me because i also somewhat play keyboards. I have a cheap m audio midi controller and some virtual instrument software. So i can record at home on my laptop, edit the midi and for live use i just put the parts on a digitech jamman. The jamman although mostly thought of as a looper is also phrase sampler with memory and cd quality sound i can start a sample with my feet. Its kinda like using a Taurus or midi pedals except the trade off is midi pedals allow live improvising and you can adjust to the timing of the band. But with the jamman the band has to play in time with it but the benefit is i can have complecated parts with multiple sounds combined together. So for example if your band wants to play a song with instrumentation like "November rain" you can record all the piano an orchestra parts at home put it on a long sample you can play along on the jamman so live even with a 3 piece band you can sound like there's 50 musicians onstage.
  4. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

So you've never owned one and don't plan on it... and some other stuff about some other stuff....

Anybody have any kind of info on the differences between the old v-bass and the vb-99?