Rolling Stones Gear

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by billystagger, Apr 9, 2014.

1. billystagger

billystagger

Just got the new Rolling Stones Gear book. It Documents the complete history of all the instruments they ever used. (live and studio) it is absolutely fascinating. I highly recommend checking it out.
  2. JimK

JimK

Read the feature about it & Andy Babiuk in the newest Bass Player…700+ pages!?
    I wouldn't mind buying this...will wait until its price dips a bit.
  3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

I like the part when Ampeg is developing the SVT / 8x10 and the Stones get the first batch. Ampeg initially doesn't realize that they're using them for guitars until the heads began to blow up on tour. Richards says in the book that "Just like Dan Armstrong, Ampeg made some great gear early on but quality dropped off soon after when the business began to grow."
  4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why using an SVT for guitar would cause the heads to blow up? I always thought SVTs appeared more robustly constructed than V4s or VT22s...was it just that Keith & Mick were diming the gain just to get any crunch out of those amps?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

From what I read that was it. During rehearsal they worked fine as they'd take a 10min break or pause while working out arrangements but once on stage they cooked them.
  7. The Lurker

The Lurker

I think he meant the heads of the band and audience were exploding, not the SVTs.:rolleyes:

(humor!)
  8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Does it also cover Darryl Jones' gear? Just curious ... I don't think his contributions to the Stones have been notable and much preferred the "sloppy-but-fits-just-right" grove and interplay between Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman to the "professional jazzer" talents of Jones. But it is what it is.
  9. JimK

JimK

Bass Player magazine mentioned this in the article: No Darryl Jones.
    Babiuk (the author) sez he was not directed to not include DJ; as is, the book is almost 700 pages & weighs 7+ pounds.

Agree with you: I'm no fan of Wyman, per se, & "Munch" is a helluva player...but I prefer Wyman when listening to The Stones.
  10. billystagger

billystagger

There is a short spot on DJ at the end.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There was no gain knob on them, only single volume. And the reason they had problems is because Keith was diming them, and SVT's originally came with 6146b's, a transmitter power tube:

http://faculty.frostburg.edu/phys/latta/ee/6146amp/6146b/6146b.html

When Keith would play, they said that the 6146b filaments would glow cherry red and hop from tube to tube. They switched over to 6550's for the power amp because of it. Now I have a 69 SVT with 6146b's and I've never had that happen, but turning up that loud with a guitar is out of the question for me so I'm not worried anyway.
  12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm curious how many 6146b's does the amp have? and what are the other tubes (preamp and driver)?
  13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Freakin' Keef. What a kook.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Six 6146b's, the driver section has two 12BH7's and a 12DW7, and the preamp has three 12DW7's, a 12AX7 which is the only preamp tube for channel 2, and a 6C4, the most microphonic tube in history. The weird thing is that when they switched over to 12AX7's and 12AU7's, all the original tubes except the 6C4 were variants of them so they were able to retain the sound.