1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ron Carter - Ron Carter - Ron Carter - Ron Carter

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Everybody here and lots of other places knows that I am an idiot. I thought that this wonderful performance here by Charnett Moffet, accompanied by Wynton Marsalis on trumpet, was by Ron Carter. What a dope!

But I want to leave this thread up as a paeon to Ron Carter anyway. We are so lucky to live in a world where so many of us can listen to Ron Carter when we feel like it.

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  2. jloehrke

jloehrke

I love the way you say "accompanied only by Wynton Marsalis." Often it's the rhythm section that really makes the music work, but, sadly, listeners don't really get that. This is truly a great track and one I've never heard - thank you. In the rapturous comments on youtube no one mentions the bassist. How weird - just the two of them, after all. Reminds me of the essential concept of Standing in the Shadows of Motown that what a lot of the people buying those classic Motown tracks were actually responding to the groove laid down by the Funk Brothers (led by bassist J. Jamerson), not the star singing the song.

3. jloehrke

jloehrke

I love the way you say "accompanied only by Wynton Marsalis." Often it's the rhythm section that really makes the music work, but, sadly, listeners don't really get that. This is truly a great track and one I've never heard - thank you. In the rapturous comments on youtube no one mentions the bassist. How weird - just the two of them, after all. Reminds me of the essential concept of Standing in the Shadows of Motown that what a lot of the people buying those classic Motown tracks were actually responding to was the groove laid down by the Funk Brothers (led by bassist J. Jamerson), not the star singing the song.

4. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Regular Contributor to Bass Player Magazine
    Treyzer likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Ron's intro on this still sends chills up my spine, just like the first time I heard it.
    A nice ballad from the same rekkid....

7. MR PC

MR PC

Ron Carter in the '60's with Herbie is my favorite. The dark sound.

8. aaronallen

aaronallen

There are so many great recordings of Ron Carter, even when hes recording going direct it doesn't bother me because the lines and feel are so good! That said, the blues the OP posted is actually Charnett Moffett.

9. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Gold Supporting Member

"Alone Together" with Jim Hall is one of my all time faves. With Elvin on "The Real McCoy" is another...

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I have never seen anyone complain about Ron Carter. He's the friggin' man! Complain? Sheesh. Everyone has a bone to pick.

11. oliebrice

oliebrice

AaronAllen is right - very fine playing, but that isn't Ron Carter on the track Sam started this thread with

korotkov likes this.
  12. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Well, I am a dope in public (again). Thank you, folks, for pointing out the facts.

I'll leave this up as an ode to Mr. Carter and then make it vanish quietly later.

13. gfaulkner

gfaulkner

Charnett Moffett……

14. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Thanks for posting this. Even if it isn't Ron Carter it's a great player.

However, there did seem to be a few (only a few) instances where the bassist got ahead of himself and either hit the target note too soon or realized he was going to hit the target note too soon and had to jump it for a double chromatic approach. Sometimes the phrasing wasn't quite right (would have to listen again for specific problems, but things like tensions on 1) That isn't to say things like that don't happen to great players, too, it's just to say, I'm a little relieved things like that happen to great players too...

It's also possible all of these things were completely intentional, like when a great writer purposely breaks a grammar rule. But a couple times it just sounded like he lost his bearings.

Disclaimer: I could not accompany WM on a trip to Walmart, let alone take him for a 5 minute walk, so take me as an interested armchair quarterback.

15. MR PC

MR PC

'twas a nice distraction though :cool:

16. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

either way I've got another 3 or 4 links to listen to tonight

17. MR PC

MR PC

Well, it's funny that people complain about his sound so much. I used to do a bit of that. He is well documented via famous and very important recordings. The whole CTI era brought him to the front on a lot of mediocre musical offerings from leaders who should have known better..imo. But OTOH, all you have to do is listen to earlier RC works with Miles, ect, and hear the same bass lines played by RC in a much more fertile and creative environment. I'm glad he was able to find a stepping stone to the levels he has achieved as both a solo artist and educator. One of my favorite pop jazz bassists to listen too, ever. Of popular jazz bassists, he is the guy who stepped up after Ray Brown to show the world at large how important the art form of jazz on the acoustic bass is. I'm not sure we've witnessed the successor to that throne yet.

18. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

19. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Gold Supporting Member

"Dear Miles" is also outstanding; very much a first take recording...

20. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

There are a couple of records like "Mode for Joe" that just had to be Ron Carter. I can't imagine anyone else playing on that record. "The Real McCoy" is another one, it would have been a completely different album if anyone else had been on bass.

21. Xog Fog

Xog Fog

Just picked up the Tribute To Miles record Ron did with Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Tony Williams, etc... Somehow missed that when it came out in 1994, what a nice record...