Rondo/Douglas WVEB-833 Short Scale Violin Bass Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neveragain55, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Hi Gang,

I just wanted to throw my two cents into the whole Rondo/Douglas debate about their version of the violin bass modeled after the one Mr. McCartney made famous so many years ago.

I can’t really speak for all the other clones out there, but this thing is “really” nice.

I just received mine’s tonight, and I have to say that I really like it, and I was really impressed with it.

I promise to write back later after I’ve truly had the opportunity to go through it and riff through a few songs for those interested in these basses, for now I just wanted to give my initial assessment of it.

The first thing that strikes you is how crazy light it is, next you’re amazed at the punch & clarity of the sound emitting from your amp.

I was blown away by what I heard coming out of my little peavey micro amp. The other really impressive thing about it was the fit, finish, and attention to detail. It came without one scratch or blemish on it anywhere and the black finish is glorious.

The very first bass I got (a thousand years ago) was a Hondo trying to do its best to imitate a Fender P-Bass, and this Rondo/Douglas Violin Bass far surpasses that.

I’ve owned Yamaha’s and Dean Edge Fretless basses over the years, and I’m floored over what I got considering what I paid. ($185.00)

It’s no Warwick, Ibanez, Schecter or Fender, but if you’re looking for something light & easy on your back – and you’re into the British Invasion era of music, you’ll love this Bass.

Ciao Folks…