1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rondo Short Scale 5 String (Brice)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mekana, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Mekana

Mekana Supporting Member

2. J Bass Flats

J Bass Flats

Hard to imagine it having a good B.

3. Temcat

Temcat

Yeah, it would be interesting to hear about that B - not only with stock strings, but with some good heavy-gauge ones.

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Ordered mine today and it's due tomorrow :eek: . I didn't realize that Rondo is only up in NH :D .

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mekana

Mekana Supporting Member

Ah! Lucky!!

Mine arrives next Friday. Sigh.

Tell us about that B when you have a chance!

7. RoadRanger

Unboxed but I won't get a chance to play it until later. As in the pictures on the website the "B" is too short and has the silk winding in the nut - not too hard to fix. There was a label on the volume that says it pulls out to go passive - I didn't see that feature on the website? I didn't tune it but the stock "B" seemed to feel and sound OK acoustically. I have a dial caliper so I'll get the string gauges on it - the website's list of gauges didn't make sense :meh: .

8. wdinc01

wdinc01

I've been looking for a short scale fiver that isn't custom (i.e. really expensive), although that "looking for" really means "hoping that Rondo makes one". I'm probably going to pick one up to use as a piccolo bass strung E-C. Not really a fan of the aesthetic, but for $300 and it being the only option, I'm not going to complain.

9. RoadRanger

Stock strings measure 45-65-80-105(might be a 100?)-125 . I normally string my 4 string short scales 40-55-75-105 so the higher strings feel heavy to me. The "B" seems to sustain well but to have a chance at all of being as "up front" as he "E" I really think going to a string with the same tension as the "E" is a good start - that would be a 140. If you are going for equal tension the 65 should be a 60 also (what's up with that?).

Any idea what the Birdsong 5 is strung with?

Anyways I've close to zero experience with a 5 string so this is certainly different. The strings are much closer together but I have small fingers anyways so could get used to it I'm sure. The neck feels a bit on the thicker side of others I own but that's fine - the thinner ones like the Mikro's need frequent truss rod tweaks. Setup out-of-the-box is good enough to mess about with.

10. RoadRanger

... and - they are now sold out.

11. Mekana

Mekana Supporting Member

I have my Birdsong strung with D'Addario EXL 170-5SL Nickel Wound regular light gauge (.045, .065, .080, .100, .130) super long scale.

I think the super long scale accommodates the double strung through B... But all the other strings fit just fine as well, and it's only 1 inch longer (31" scale) than the Brice.

Since the Brice is strung through, but not double strung through on the B, I'm hoping this set will fit and maybe the heavier gauge will help compensate for the slightly shorter scale length?

D'Addario EXL160-5 5-String Nickel Wound Bass Guitar Strings, Medium, 50-135, Long Scale

Not sure I will like the feel even if they do fit. I do really like the feel/flexibility of the lighter strings on the Birdsong... Anyway thought it would be worth a try.

12. RoadRanger

You should like the stock strings then :) .

13. JonahTheAmazing

JonahTheAmazing

I'm not a fan of the 3/4 size. Also, you guys already pointed out, that must be some B string.

I might try the Squier short scale or something along the lines, but I've never been interested in buying a shorter scale bass.

14. Mekana

Mekana Supporting Member

Dang! That was fast!

I wonder how many they sold and if they will do another run?

15. RoadRanger

I just ordered up some single strings from Bassstringsonline :
    40-55-75-105-140
    all long-scale. Shouldn't be a problem with the 40-105 and I'll just have to see how the 140 fits up - hopefully I won't have to shorten it :meh: .

16. RoadRanger

Isn't that Squire a 30" scale too :confused:

17. elavate7

elavate7

Disclosures:
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    you have to at least have a 34 inch neck to have a good low B. i would have to def play it first

18. RoadRanger

:rollno:

19. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    Anyone know if these Brice basses are made from the same factory that makes ESP's? They seem to pretty darn alike.

20. Temcat

Temcat

This thread could use some pics and clips ;)

21. RoadRanger

Pics are at the link in the first post. To me clips tend to be more about the player and strings than the bass. I will note that this uses the same preamp as all the other HXB series which is noted for being hissy if you turn the treble up past half way. It will run passive for recording. I'm going to wait for my new strings to come in before I do a setup - like most (all?) new basses under $1k the nut slots need to be deepened.