1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ronnie James Dio: This Is Your Life

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boom762, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Have yall been listening to the leaks? I am huge fan of Dio and Im pretty disappointed in the album already. I heard one of my favorite songs "straight through the heart" butchered by lizzie hale. You should have to BE a metal musician to get this honor, not just be related to one. Her version changed the main riff and it actually sounds like some of the instruments were synthed.

Metallica got their claws on some songs too.

When I first heard about this album I was stoked. Now I dont think I'll be buying it. Whats your impressions?

2. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

A tribute album? Most of those things are a disaster.

3. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Only the Corey Taylor version of "straight to the heart" sounds interesting, as he is a killer singer like dio.

4. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

I listened to the metallica thing this morning, it is OK, sounds cool, but as soon as james sings, it doesn't sound very cool anymore.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Considering Dio is the best vocalist who's ever lived, why would you expect a tribute album to ever sound as good as material he's already performed?

7. Boom762

I think the only song I still want to hear is Last in Line by Tenacious D. Its appropriate as they worked with Dio in the past and always showed him a lot of respect IE, putting him in the movie, having him sing on the OST, making a song about it, being in his music video.

I was hoping to see black sabbath do something for him.

8. StayLow

StayLow

Poor Dio. :( Supposed to let him rest in peace, not butcher his tunes. He's earned it, and then some. Who knows though, could be someone needs the money.

WOW, bassist from Slough Feg up in here!? Friends and I are fans of your band. Cheers, man!

9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    It's the thought that counts. I usually avoid those kinds of albums

10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

11. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist-Reverend Guitars
    I listend to a few cuts on Youtube and it just underscores how great the original article was/is.
    However, Lzzy Hale does give me a boner and that is good.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I don't think Ozzy wants people to know he could never live up to Dio's voice in a million years. Right now it is debatable and up to speculation.

I was fortunate enough to have seen Dio (Black Sabbath) and it was amazing. A frontman for the ages and a voice for the gods.

13. StayLow

StayLow

HAHAHA! :)

I thought you were serious for a moment. ;)

Good one! :bassist:

14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

All proceeds are going to Dio's Cancer foundation.

15. apotterdd

apotterdd

I think the only one I'm wanting to listen to is the Scorpions "The Temple of the King".

There's also a lot of talk about wishing that they could've gone deeper into the archives (i.e. Elf) but with that said, and what others have said, the original was a true original and will never be equaled or topped IMHO.

16. Boom762

I got to see Heaven and Hell with Megadeth and Machine Head. Good times. I was just learning about Dios music and I kept waiting for them to play Holy Diver lol

17. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I just listened to several songs on YouTube. Meh.
    Like someone else said, these tribute albums usually fall flat.

18. Boom762

I angered some YouTube demons with an opinion of one of the videos. I have a full mailbox of crying Metallica and Corey Taylor fans :hyper:

I used to see all sorts of tribute albums for Metallica when I was a kid and not 1 of them was ever any good. I liked the Stringed tributes for TOOL alright.

19. Spectrum

Spectrum

I saw DIO on the Last in Line tour when the band had the best lineup. Appice, Campbell, and Bain.

I can die happy. No tribute album will ever top that.