1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Roommate problem, bass damage.

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by Thecomedian, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Thecomedian

Thecomedian

So I live with someone who is unfortunately a subverise type. He put a nice dent in my ibanez SR305 with I believe a screwdriver, since it actually fits the indentation perfectly. The damage is about 2-3mm in and I'm wondering, how can I repair it? Will a shop be able to repair it, or do you just fill it in with some resin? Locking my room from now on.

2. GypsyMan

GypsyMan

Move out or get a new rommie.

3. Cookye

Cookye

What you do is...get an estimate to fix your instrument..present the bill to your roommate. If he refuses to pay 1. beat his ass 2. get a new roommate. Or, If you control the payment of bills pad his share of it until it is paid for.

4. keep it low

keep it low

Go with cookye, confront him with a repair estimate, if hes cool with either paying for it upfront, or making payments do it. If hes a dick about it, and he controls the bills give him the deducted amount, if you control the bills the balls in his court as far as getting it repaired, if you demand reimbursement, he may just tell you to go suck your bass, and move out boom never see any money for it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. keep it low

keep it low

Can we see a pic of the damages?

7. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

He'd be the hospital patient type if he lived with me.

What was the question?

8. Clearwave

Clearwave

Ask him about it. Give him the benefit of the doubt, It was probably an accident. If he owns up to it and apologizes, I bet you'll feel better. If he is a d*ck about it, move out. Because he'll keep messing up your stuff. Thats all you can do.

9. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Roomate damage,bass problem!

10. dreads311

dreads311

I understand your sentiment, but a screwdriver to the bass seems like a heck of an "accident".

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Before you fix it, put one more dent in it ... on the side of his head. Really, 2-3mm is nothing. Forget it, it's just mojo.

12. tat2jim

tat2jim

Forget it and lock your room.

13. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

Is it a scratch or dent? If it is a dent you can do this:

1) Get a soldering iron for a heat source. You could also use a clothes iron.
    2) Get a wet rag.
    3) Put a couple of drops of water on the dent.
    4) Wrap the soldering iron tip with the wet rag and apply to the dent.

What you are doing here is basically steaming the wood causing it to swell slightly. I got this tip out of a Dan Erlewine guitar repair book. It actually works, I've used it. Took out a dent 90-95% of the way on a Warwick I had.

14. dreads311

dreads311

That's a useful bit of knowledge to have in the back pocket. Kudos!

15. InYerBass

InYerBass

I wouldn't sweat it too bad. Ibanez Soundgears are beautiful guitars, in fact my first bass was a black fretless sdgr 5 string, but they're in the more "economical" category of basses IMO. You can find them for much cheaper than your average killer bass. Regardless, if the spot is a deal breaker for you than Id say get it fixed but I would be too lazy. Just my 2 cents

16. Lostarrows100

Lostarrows100

1) get a camera
    2) take photo of your penis on Chicken Filet
    3) make nice to him one day
    4) feed him said chicken Filet as a good gesture
    5) Show him photo and ask his girlfriend out the day you move out

recommended line "Revenge tastes better then Penis Parmesan and so does your girlfriend"