1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Root beer from scratch?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by afiaowo, Oct 28, 2013.

1. afiaowo

afiaowo

I want to make root beer from scratch. Not from an extract.

Most of the recipes are overly complicated.

I would like to know your recipe and cooking instructions if you have experience with making your own root beer.

Thanks!
  2. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Look for old recipes- it's an old beverage and newer recipes may be more complicated because "foodies" want to be special. The ones I just saw didn't seem complicated.
  3. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

LOL, isn't that the truth. don't get the recipe from Pintrest, that's for sure....

Talk about over complicating things..

On the topic of recipes being overcomplicated: The wife wanted to make dunkaroos. For those that don't know, dunkaroos are cookies with icing to dip them in. So she finds a recipe online and it has her folding pudding cake mix into cool whip with vanilla bean and several other things and I'm like "why don't you just buy a can of icing, you know, like they use with dunkaroos"

OP, why do you not want to use extract? just curios.
  4. mkandolf

mkandolf

Go to northerbrewer.com or brewboard.com and check out their discussion boards. Lots of the homebreweres brew homemade root beer and I'm sure I've seen some root beer recipes over there.
  5. afiaowo

afiaowo

I love it! I literally laughed out loud after reading that.

But to your point, it makes allot of sense. Thank you.

Food allergies. :(
  6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Root beer? You talkin' 'bout sarsaparilla?
  7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

When I was a very young child my great grandma used to send us kids out to collect sassafras roots so she could make rootbeer.

If I recall correctly, her "recipe" was clean and boil the roots, then add sugar to taste.
  8. afiaowo

afiaowo

Best drink ever!
  9. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Roots, beers, hookers & blow.
  10. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I've made ginger beer from scratch. Easiest one. It was pretty good. I keep saying i'll make spruce beer too but never get around to it. It involves "going back home" and finding nice spruce branches in the woods. It's a bit more involved then going to the store and buying fresh ginger...
  11. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

12. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday Supporting Member

I do my own Ginger Beer occasionally. Do the rest of you carbonate naturally (fermenting yeast), or force carbonate?
  13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Same here

I heard sassafras is a carcinogen

I don't think they use it anymore
  14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

No worries mate, it's been since the late 50's since I had any homemade root beer.

These days the once or twice a year I feel the need it's either an ice cold A&W or IBC. Since I only drink one when I get the urge and that urge is so rare I go for the full blown version, no sugarless root beer for me.
  15. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

i use yeast personally