1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Root Beer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 14, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Which root beer would you say is the best you have tried? I actually just tried this one out called "Natural Brew", and it's pretty much the best I have tried.
    [​IMG]
  2. pica

pica

My brother bought me a 4-pack of Sprecher Root Beer. Fantastic. They also make Cream Soda too.
  3. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Sioux City is pretty good stuff.
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Mug is good enough for me. I've never tried any fancier root beers, but I may try some now.
  5. matante

matante

I don't know where to find them. I can always find Virgil's, which is good, and occasionally Henry Weinhardt's, but that's it.
  6. Super Hans

Super Hans Supporting Member

Barq's has always been my favorite. Virgil's is good too, though I like their other flavors better.
  7. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I was certain that Majormetal would find root beer in a GREEN bottle!
  8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I really like Dad's Root Beer. I have been thinking about making my own for some time. My grandma used to make it and it was fantastic.

lowsound
  9. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Lots of good ones out there, I once had some home made from a home brewer that was excellent.
  10. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Mug is my least favorite of what I tried. Barq's is better. But I like A&W out of those three.

Tried Virgil's. Liked it. Tried some Maine-made root beer, can't remember the brand- that was much more spicy.
  11. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

most of the 'Popular commercial brands" are not actually root beer and they are basically caramel colored sugar water

If the ingredients do not contain

Sassafras albidum
    Smilax regelii
    Smilax glyciphylla
    Glycyrrhiza glabra
    Aralia nudicaulis
    Manihot esculenta

or a variation of the above then it isn't ROOT Beer

Ever heard of Charles Hires? that's the guy who formulated and brought the first commercial root beer to market

[​IMG]

A&W Root Beer, Dad's Root Beer, Mug Root Beer, Barq's (all the large brands) no longer contain the actual ingredients needed to actually be a ROOT beer

Virgils is one of my favorites widely available

it contains: cane sugar and a number of natural spices, including anise, licorice, vanilla, cinnamon, clove, sweet birch, molasses, nutmeg, pimento berry oil (allspice), balsam oil, and cassia oil .

Natural Brew is another one...it contains: Filtered Water, Sugar, Bourbon Vanilla Extract, Anise, Licorice ROOT, Birch Oil, and Wintergreen oil..

but i suggest you also try

Maine Root
    Boylans Root Beer
    Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value Root Beer
    Mystic Seaport

as they actually contain ingredients that classify them as "ROOT' Beer

enjoy
  12. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Boylans is good stuff. I rarely drink soda but occasionally I go to a pizza place that carries boylans.
  13. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Whats the difference between coca cola and root beer , other than flavor seems to me that is the same thing.
  14. PAC

PAC

I don't know if anyone would remember DOG & SUDS. They were a hot dog burger joint. Great root beer. They shuttered here 30 years ago?

Paul
  15. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Maine Root was probably the one I referenced. Definitely a whole different flavor.

It is interesting how the "major" brands taste pretty different compared to the Coke-Pepsi, 7-up-Sierra Mist, etc.
  16. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I found one in Norther Lower Michigan! I think it's in Montague. We passed it on the highway a few years ago and did a U-turn!
  17. Richland123

Richland123

I like Dad's and Stewart's is good. As far as Dog 'n' Suds Root Beer, I just saw it for sale in Big Lots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred

IBC is pretty tasty. I remember Frostie, that was good stuff.
  19. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

IBC is definitely my favorite. They make an excellent Cream Soda too.
  20. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Well if we are talking real root beer....see my Post