Root to Flat 7th... technique help!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Backspacez, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Backspacez

Backspacez

I was wondering what you guys do when going from root to flat 7th... I usually do it like i'm playing a barre chord on a guitar... whole finger laying on the fret... this doesn't work for me at all... but it is better than moving my finger down... anyone have any tips for me?
  2. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

What’s wrong with using the tip of your second or third finger to fret the 7th note? You may need to rotate your wrist a bit.
  3. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes

I generally follow the one finger per fret rule, so I'd play the root with my ring finger (or middle) and the flat 7th with my pointer. It would really depend on what was coming after the flat 7th, and what string it's on and where on the neck it is.

But if your method works for you, it works. There's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.
  4. GreggBummer

GreggBummer

I decided to throw out the "one finger, one fret" concept. There is nothing wrong with it, but, I just found it too confining. It tends to push me into staying in one place on the neck and limits my note choices. If the flat 7th below the root isn't working, there are plenty of places on the neck you can play that note. Or perhaps you can move the root. Situation depending, you could try an alternate tuning... or just drop a string down a semitone. Part of the art of music is experimentation... make it your own. If it sounds good, it is good.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vin*tone

vin*tone

I have a tendancy to have my hand poised to shape the chord/key that you are playing in.

So for a 7 chord (with a maj 3) play it with the 2nd (root) and 3rd (7th) fingers. This gives quick access to the Maj 3rd on the middle string with the index finger and 5th and octave with the pinky.

If I'm playing in a minor key - min3rd, min7, I tend to play root and 7 with the ring and pinky - this lets you play the min3rd with the index finger. OR root with index, 7 with 2nd, covering the other notes (inc min 3rd) with pinky.

I guess there's no hard rules - practice it with different combinations.
  7. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

1) Double stops:

Root > Tip of index finger.

b7 > tip of second finger

2) b7 Arpeggio:

Root > index finger.

5th > pinky.

b7 > index finger.
  8. MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Try repeating the minor pentatonic scale frequently; This helped me a lot when I was starting; Use the index finger when fingering the flatted 7 (below or above);
  9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

Depend where I'm coming from and where I'm going next.
  10. Mushroo

Mushroo

I usually use the same finger for the root and b7 (shifting the fingertip from string to string), unless I need to play them at the same time.

9 times out of 10 I am in the "box" position, so it would be my 1st (pointer) finger. But it really depends on what comes before/after in the song. If I needed a low b7 but not the high octave, then maybe I am playing the root and b7 with my 4th (pinkie) finger so I have the 1st finger available to hit the low b7.
  11. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

+1 Context is everything. There's no "right" way that applies in all situations.
  12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Root-1st finger
    Flat 7- 2nd finger (need to rotate a bit)
  13. mrbell321

mrbell321

play it down an octave?
  14. DalibortheBeast

DalibortheBeast Supporting Member

I use my thumb over the low E. I do this a lot when playing root/octave too although I don't see many other bass players do this.

When on the A, I will sometimes use my middle finger on the A and ring finger on the G allowing my pointer and pinky to be ready for a major appregio.
  15. Lownote38

Lownote38

That's what I do if it's a quick arpeggio like 1-3-b7.