Roscoe Advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WayneKerrins, Jan 31, 2013.

1. WayneKerrins

WayneKerrins

I played a Roscoe LG3000J yesterday and loved the feel and tone.

I play in a rock and indie covers band anything from Credence CR-Neil Young-Seger-Joy Divison-Chillie Peppers-SilversunPickups-Arcade Fire.

I particularly liked the lows on the bass (which was spanish cedar with boxelder topwood). Pickups were bartolini jazz type.

Given the above data could any Roscoe experts give me some guidance on the best tonewoods and hardware for a new Roscoe? Also is the bass model the best fit?

Appreciate the advice guys.
  2. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner at MetalString Sound, Inc.
    I've owned 6 Roscoe basses and they all have/had great lows and are very versatile instruments that work in a variety of musical styles.

I think the different woods and electronics will have a more noticeable impact on the mids and highs as I've never heard a Roscoe that was weak in the lows.

The Roscoe forum under the Sponsored Forums can provide you more than enough information on any number of topics.
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    That's going to be really hard to answer, since the questions you're asking are incredibly personal.

My instinct says that if you liked it, you've found a great fit *for you.* I really like lows in my basses, too, and that's why all 4 of my Roscoes have a mahogany body. Mahogany is said to have more lows than spanish cedar, which in turn has more lows than ash.

The LG is the smallest of the bodies in the Roscoe line, but they're all fairly close. The SKB (my preference, although I do own an LG) is the 'middle' sized and the Century is the largest, at about the size of a jazz bass.
  4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Personally, the best sounding Roscoes to me have Cedar bodies, Barts and the Demeter preamp.

I gigged a SKB 5 and a 6 for a couple of years in a rock cover band. We did RHCP-Eagles-Foo Fighters-CCR-etc.... And the Roscoes always sounded great!
  5. SteveC

SteveC

Pacman knows as much as anyone about Roscoe's. Maybe Gard will chime in. I've had a couple, currently have a fretless and am having a fretted built for me. While the woods certainly do make a difference, I think in some cases it's subtle. I mean, you can tell, but I have yet to play a Roscoe I didn't like.

I like the Century body style. Just seems to fit me better. My fretless is mahogany with a special JB pickup placement. I think it sounds amazing for a nice modern fretless tone.

[​IMG]

The fretted Century that I have being built is an ash body with CB soapbar pups. A pretty "standard" Roscoe combination. I still think there will be plenty of lows. This is the top that will be on it with a birdseye maple fingerboard.

[​IMG]

Bottom line, Roscoe is making incredible basses right now. If the one you played spoke to you, get it. The basses are amazing. The company is amazing. The people who work there are amazing. Heck, they've put up with enough from me over the last year to last a lifetime, but they still work with me and have made me amazing basses with extra touches I wouldn't have expected.
  6. WayneKerrins

WayneKerrins

Guys really appreciate the advice. Thinking of having one built and have exchanged a few messages with Gard. Like a darker top wood than boxelder so looking at redwood. Also thinking SKB as I'm a big guy for an LG.
  7. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

I've always wanted to test-drive a 4-string LG. What well known basses would you owners compare the neck profile to?
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    I have a mahogany/redwood/birdseye maple SKB that is seriously SICK! I could (realistically, if you put a gun to my head) get do every gig I get called for on it. (But where would the fun be in that?)

This one:

[​IMG]
  9. SteveC

SteveC

And that's "just" a Standard Plus! Yet another bass that shows that they don't "save" all the good wood for the "signature" basses.

I find I prefer the standard bodies. The carved tops are really nice, but you don't need a carved top (as this bass shows) to get a beautiful bass. And look at that fingerboard!

Can't wait to see my new completed standard plus...