1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Roscoe Beck V "Limited Edition." BS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Root 5, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Root 5

Root 5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rosco-Beck-...edition-ONLY-50-THESE-WERE-MADE-/251410737183

This dude was trying to claim that his teal green metallic Roscoe Beck V was a 1997 "Limited Edition of 50." He was asking $2700 for it!

A problem I noticed immediately is that the serial number dates it to 1998, not 1997!

I've NEVER heard of a limited edition RBV!

There's nothing to differentiate his instrument from a standard RBV.

What's the verdict?

2. mantaraya

mantaraya

I saw that ad a couple of months ago. I thought and wonder as yourself. From what i understand (could be wrong) the Teal color is more scarce than the other colors (red, Shoreline, 3 TBS) But is overpowerindg the "scarce" word. It doesn't make it Limited Edition. The 50 production is just a bluff..i could be wrong tough

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I am not 100% sure, but I have never heard of a limited edition RBV either. Unless he can produce written documentation that there was a limited run, there was not.

4. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz Supporting Member

I also saw that listing, and the guy is full of "hot air". AFIK, there was no "limited edition" or custom shop model.

The following, taken from Fender.com, is somewhat instructive:

"Beck’s five-string model enjoyed a lengthy run given its expensive price tag ($1,940) and highly specialized design, remaining in the Fender lineup for a dozen years until being discontinued in 2007."

Using this information, if the 50 figure is correct across a span of 12 years, then we are looking at ~4 basses per year. Were the figure actually that low, the model would not have sustained for that long due to the simple economics of manufacturing.

Lately, there have been several people trying to sell RB Signature models as "collectables" at prices similar to the one cited here. While they are great basses, and IMHO rival some of the Fender Custom Shop pieces for quality, I just don't think they justify a $2,700 price tag. Given the length of time the model ran, it would be reasonable to think there are several hundred of them out there. How that quantity would compare to a noted collectable like a 1960 "stack knob" Fender Jazz, I have no idea, but the number of RBV's produced along with the relatively recent vintage do not merit collectable status at the present time(again IMHO).

I do think the Roscoe Beck models are likely to hold, and even gain value going forward, but not at any insane rate that would have me paying that kind of price for one now.

I have seen some discussion on TB regarding the relative rarity of the Teal Green Metallic RBV's, but have no real knowledge relative to that color vs. the other offerings. IIRC, Fender's print advertising for the RBV featured Roscoe Beck holding one of the TGM models. Just from observation, it seems that in later production, the teal version may have been made in very small quantities or phased-out altogether. Most of the later models that I have seen are in other colors, and the 4-string (AFIK) was never made in TGM, but did come in a Lake Placid Blue and Honeyburst, which seems to be the most common color in the 4-string.

Having said all that, the right price for the bass in question (IMO) would be about half the asking price.

Putting aside the value question, and looking from a player's standpoint, I will tell you that I currently own a RBV in the TGM coloe (in my avatar), and it is my favorite bass out of all that I have owned over a span of some 30+ years, with the possible exception of a CAR 1966 Jazz that I owned in the 1980's.

If you like an early 60's vintage jazz tone, then you can definitely get it with the RB. The switching also allows you to get some nice approximations of a P-bass, MM 'Ray, and several others. The RB is a versatile instrument, and is the one bass I can never imagine letting go. I describe the RBV to people as "more vintage than vintage".

If you get a chance to play one, do yourself a favor and spend some time with it.

One additional note about price- In spite of the attempts of some to "speculate" in the RB basses, you can still occasionally find a bargain. I purchased my RBV a couple of years ago from a gentleman in California for $700. That's not likely today, but I'd bet that an exhaustive search would turn up a few of them in pawn shops (I know of one in a Houston pawn shop recently), and other outlets where you could get one at a very reasonable price.

As always, YMMV.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fudge. I sold my teal green RBV to a friend for $700. If I'm not mistaken, that was the color of Roscoe's RBV, and may have been the that was made the most.

7. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Paid $1800 for mine (Rumble Seat Music NM) about a month ago and was about to pull the trigger on one from a TBer for around the same price but it didn't work out. Would've liked to have paid less (as usual) but think it worth every penny. Really versatile and quality made. I researched the guitar extensively, including reading ALL the threads in the RB Club forum before I bought it (kind of risky buying before playing), and never ran across any mention of a ltd. edition RB.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

This is Horse-S**t.
    Teal green was a standard color the the Beck V.
    $2700.00 no way, this is a $1500.00. bass.

9. Bobster

Bobster

The bass is "no longer available" did he sell it?

10. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz Supporting Member

The last ones actually sold on eBay were for $1,549.99 and $1,799.99, so looks like he did not sell it.

11. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I saw that come up in my eBay watch list, and I concluded pretty quickly that the guy was full of crap. So many people are so eager to upsell whatever it is they've listed on CL or eBay that they'll say almost anything. What's going to happen, is he going to go to eBay jail? He just wants to sell his bass.

As for the $2700 he wants? BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! The most I've been seeing RB5's sell for recently is in the $1500 - $1700 range. I got my own in '99 for about $850 if my memory serves me correctly.

The teal green metallic was a standard color. Just like my candy apple red RB5 was a standard color. The only ones that I ever heard of being anywhere near "Special" was from a former bass salesman at Sam Ash. He told me that he got a sunburst RB5 with a tort guard from his Fender rep, while the sunburst RB5's that were sold via the normal retail route had a mint or w/b/w pickguard. And considering how much of a blowhard that guy was, I don't know if I can even believe his story.

12. Root 5

Root 5

I don't know what he did with it. I just hope no one was ripped off by this jerk.

I emailed him a while back and asked him to tell me what exactly made his specimen a limited edition of 50. I told him that I see nothing other than a standard production RBV.

No reply.

As I touched on in the OP, how could he say it's a LE when he doesn't even know the year of manufacture!

His failure to reply, getting the details wrong and the instrument itself all told me he was a scammer.

13. bassarama

bassarama

Hey anybody out there have one for sale ?

I have one now and looking to Buy/Trade for other models.

Guess what..would like to get a Teal Metallic :hyper:

14. Stubass1969

Stubass1969

They couldn't have been a special edition. If so, I had 2 of them in teal green, one from 1996, one from 2004[​IMG]

15. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

The color maybe the limited part, but it's funny that I've seen that color the most!

16. Root 5

Root 5

I don't think so. Teal Green Metallic was one of the standard colours.

A limited edition - especially a run as small as 50 - would have unique features or markings.

I thought the case he was showing was wrong, too. Mine came in the tweed case. It's possible that Fender delivered them in different cases. Maybe someone else can better speak to this.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

I remember when those first hit the scene! Those are pretty awesome pickups. :cool::cool:

18. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

It's back online, but more reasonably priced now. Oddly, it's still being listed as some "Limited Edition" piece.

19. bassarama

bassarama

Well at the end of the day..it is what it is, right ?

A seller can describe a bass pretty well anything he likes BUT the fact remains it is a Roscoe Beck in Teal Metallic, one of 4 standard colors.
    The bass is clearly a 1998 and it appears to be 100% original and a CLEAN original at that.
    The case in the EBAY ad is too 100% original, or at least it is identical to the one I have and others I have seen also had the same case..

I had spent all day Tuesday A-B ing a Black YAMAHA BB2025X with my CAR Roscoe Beck 5.
    The YAMAHA was a nice playing bass, save the weight, and the serious NECK DIVE. Very limited tonal range and a compressed slap sound. Passive and somewhat louder than the Roscoe Beck. Too, the YAMAHA surprisingly was hard to reach the 21st fret. IMHO over-hyped and seriously over priced.

IN THE END

I did a series of 4 sets of tones/styles A-B ing the 2 basses.
    2 LIVE---2 RECORDED.

4 out of 4 times the listener chose the ROSCOE BECK 5.

Just sayin :meh:

20. Root 5

Root 5

It's different instrument. While both RBVs are 1998s, this one has a slightly different serial number!

The description is very suspiciously similar! Too similar for my liking..

21. bassarama

bassarama

SOLD ....

I just missed it by a hair !!!:crying: