Roscoe Century 3006 JB Fretless - $2,500 shipped

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by VroomVroom, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Hi Folks,

A bit of pr0n-oh-graph-ee right off the bat:

[​IMG]

For sale is a magnificent instrument, my Roscoe Century 3006 JB fretless. It honestly pains me to list this for sale, but the simple fact is it's not being played. So...let's see if the right home is out there somewhere.

SPECS:
    Serial # 6280
    Mahogany body
    Ridiculous flame maple top
    Transparent Blue (close to Lake Placid) gloss finish
    Maple/purpleheart/maple neck w/ finish-matched headstock
    Lined diamondwood fingerboard
    35" scale, 18.3mm bridge spacing
    Bartolini hum-cancelling J's in 'JB' placement
    Bartolini NTMB-F 18v pre-amp
    Layout: Vol | Blend | Push-pull Mid | Stacked Bass & Treble
    Weight: ~ 10lbs
    Roscoe Hardshell Case

Except for the JB pickup placement (identical to Zon Sonus Special, adjusted for 35" scale), this is pretty much a traditional Roscoe. In other words: articulate, warm, and punchy sound, magical balance and playability, stunning aesthetics, and absolute second-to-none build quality. Gard Lewis (Roscoe's GM) his own self took extra special care of me on this one when he hand-selected that amazing top. I don't have access to an accurate scale, but the 10lb estimate feels right. This isn't a lightweight, but it's not at all uncomfortable. Mahogany is as mahogany does, right? :D

Sonically, this bass is a beast. That same mahogany gives it booty and warmth, the top adds nice focus, the diamondwood gives it snarl and a nice point on each note, and that pickup placement...schawing. The mids really speak on this bass, and you can go from P-bass heft to Jaco snarl, all with the blend knob. Mwah for days, and a reasonable facsimile of upright-vibe, if you place your right hand over the fingerboard. It really is all in there. It is currently wearing Ken Smith Slick Round strings - which sound fantastic. However, I'll also include a very lightly used set of DR Nickel Lo-Riders, which obviously provide a much brighter tone. (You can hear the DR's in the video below.)

This bass was completed in early July, 2011. I'm the original owner, having spec'd the bass with a lot of assistance and feedback from both Gard and the kind folks at Gelb Music in Redwood City, CA. Here's a shot of weaksauce me the day I picked it up at Gelb:

[​IMG]

And here's a video, with some sounds and a rambling narrative. :oops:

I'll leave you with some more photos, but first....let's talk nitty gritty.

TERMS
    $2,500 via PayPal to me, lands you the bass, shipped CONUS via UPS Ground insured. Full disclosure: I'm looking to net as close to $2,400 as possible. Shipping cross-country usually costs me in the $85 range, and of course there are those pesky fees to consider. If you're genuinely interested in purchasing, and have a means to reduce the shipping expense, let's talk. I'm pretty firm on that net amount, but am happy to consider means of reducing the gross. Likewise, if you're local (SF Bay Area), the cash & carry price is $2,400. We meet, you decide you love the bass, and we trade...bass for 24 Benjamins.

Instrument trades? I'm not really interested. The main reason this instrument is for sale is because I simply have too many basses already. Nonetheless, if you have something really special, I'm happy to listen...just please don't be offended if I decline.

Thanks for your time, please hit me with any questions, and happy shopping! On to the pics..

Fresh from this afternoon:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Glamor shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Your eyes aren't tricking you - the back does have a green tint to it...a result of blue on top of mahogany.)
  2. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

Bump for a great TB'r and a heck of a nice guy to deal with. That is a beautiful roscoe and a great deal. GLWTS.
  3. Chuck M

Chuck M

I own a Century 6 string fretless and it is a killer bass. I love it so much that I have bought fretted and fretless 5 string Roscoe basses.

Can't say enough about the fretless Roscoe basses. I've owned at least one Pedulla buzz bass since the 1980's and the Roscoe basses sound even better.

If you need a fretless 6, buy this bass. You won't be disapointed.
  4. lsu921

lsu921 Supporting Member

Wow, now that's beautiful! Killer price to boot, good luck with the sale.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ubone

ubone

Wow!!! The earth must have spun out of control.
    This is an outstanding bass being offered up by an even more outstanding player. Jerry's the best, and this bass is simply KILLER!!
  7. rwider

rwider Supporting Member

Agreed! GLWTS
  8. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Writer - Bass Musician Magazine
    jeebus!! this is insane.. I would love to try it
  9. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie-Spector Bass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups
    Sorry to see this one go, Jerry. Pics of this bass just mildly do it justice. I saw it in person. It's a piece of art. Bump for a great TB'r!
  10. Hot Pocket

Hot Pocket

Bump. If this was an ash or alder body it would be mine already. I'll bet this bass sings! Just a killer price here
    and a seemingly supercool person to do biz with (have followed your posts on the Roscoe FB site for many months).
    Roscoe shop is at the top of their game at the moment as evidenced in part by the beauty of this piece.
    Gelb is also a first rate operation (been there many times) BUMP!

I am , however, curious, if you are moving this instrument, just what instruments have you decided to keep?
  11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oh boy, if this had 5 strings...

Someone is going to be really happy with this bass.
  12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    I say to my wife "Jerry's selling his fretless 6."

My wife says "do you want to get it?"

She's a good woman, and I wish I could afford this. Good luck man!
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Funny, my wife and I just had a very similar conversation..........

I am going over finances right now...
  14. JOME77

JOME77

I might as well chime in on this one too! :)

Beautiful bass Jerry! I just love the finish on this one!

Killer deal for a mint Roscoe fretless and an awesome TB'er to deal with!
  15. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Thanks for the posts, folks - I really appreciate it. I know this is a cliche, but it actually is painful parting with this one. In a perfect world (one with either more fretless gigs, or perhaps a winning lottery ticket) I'd hold on to this one forever.
  16. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

And.....looks like a sale. Just waiting on some bits of data to travel from one account to another.
  17. SteveC

SteveC

I didn't think this would last long. I thought I felt the earth move a little off kilter a couple days ago...

A little late to the party as it looks like this has sold, but...great bass and guy. I just received a similar bass - 5 string, but similar wood and electronics - and it has mwah and tone for days. I hope I will find gigs for my fretless so I don't have to sell.
  18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I am still sick over the fact that I wasn't able to grab this one.:(
  19. SteveC

SteveC

There are some really nice pre-owned Roscoes for sale right now. It's hard not to do something foolish.

I wish my Koa build would get to the point of a picture soon so I could have that to occupy my drool time...

There's still that SKB at Greg's shop....
  20. kcandme

kcandme Supporting Member

Beautiful Bass.

I want to move up to a nicer bass, and I see these Roscoes and wonder...
    Roscoe...??? Smith...???

Does anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks
    KC
  21. SteveC

SteveC

I've owned multiple smiths and Roscoes...roscoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.