1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roscoe Madness!

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by Chuck M, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

Made a trade about 6 months ago for a Century Signature 6 fretless. That bass is so good that I have made the decision to go more into the Roscoe camp.

I've played Ken Smith fretted and Pedulla fretless basses for years but the Roscoe sounds so much better to me that I decided that I wanted a fretted Roscoe 3005. I made a deal for this one: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/roscoe-century-signature-fs-ft-937710/ and sent the payment for it yesterday.

I also bought this fretless SKB 3005:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fretless-roscoe-skb-3005-a-942210/

I love my fretless 6 but sometimes prefer a 5 string since the fingerboard is more narrow and it is easier to mute the unplayed strings.

My thanks to Gard for answering questions that I have had about Roscoe basses.

Also thanks to Jon Packard for his encouragement.

So I am waiting for two new (to me) Roscoe basses!
  2. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Congrats, and Welcome! The fretless should have tons of Mojo - Vroomvroom is my Obi Won on bass.
  3. Chuck M

I'm sure the fretless will be a wonderful bass. My fretless 6 just kills and the clarity of the low strings, especially as you play up the neck, is superior to any bass I've ever played.

Like most of us, I love Jaco's fretless playing but Jimmy Johnson is also inspiring to listen to. Flim and the BB's "This is a Recording" is a wonderful CD. And then there if Jimmy Haslip. He gets such great tone and his playing is great.

Chuck
  4. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Love Jimmy Johnson!

My all-time hero on the bald board though - Pino Palladino.

Love Jaco, but man Pino just kills me....

...welcome to the family, Chuck!

:)
  5. JOME77

JOME77

Looks like you dove into the Roscoe world head first Chuck!

Great buy on the Roscoe 3005 fretless. The diamondwood fingerboard IMO is unmatched for maximum mwah.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    I love this! You're definitely in the nut-house with the rest of us, Chuck!
  7. Chuck M

The weird part of this is that I briefly owned an SKB 6 string about 10 years ago and somehow failed to appreciate it. I stayed with Ken Smith basses all along even though he has been something of a character to deal with.

For those that don't know, Jon and I have known each other for years as he was stationed here in San Antonio with he was in the Air Force band.

Gard and I go back to dealings when he was at Bass Central so it is like meeting with friends in a new and better place, so to speak.

Yeah, I have got the Roscoe bug really bad. In this case, "I've got it bad and that is good".

Looks like the fretless SKB5 will arrive on the 8th. Must be slow delivery times because of the holidays.

Chuck
  8. Chuck M

Both basses are shipped and due to arrive on the same day, next Tuesday the 8th.

Gonna be a fun day!

Chuck
  9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Both on the same day...awesome!

I have come back to the family recently as well. I had an SKB a few years ago but was still in my "try a new bass every month" stage and not giving any of them time to grow on me or for me to figure out what they were capable of doing.

A new Roscoe Century Standard 5 Fretless Plus is in the house and a new Century Standard 5 Plus being built with a top I picked out when I was at the shop in June. Ironically, I was there to pick up a Century Standard 6 JJ Plus that they built for me. Fantastic bass but a 6 is just more than I need so it was sold. I was totally impressed with everyone involved in the shop. They care about their basses and their customers. Truly a family feeling.

I've always thought if I had a nice pair of fretted and fretless basses that I'd be happy. Hopefully this time I will take the time - and have the discipline - to really appreciate the instruments, learn what they can do, let them do what they want and take me on a journey. Words of wisdom from people I respect and know more than me.

Enjoy next Tuesday!
  10. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I agree. It's hard for me not to "mwah" on my new diamondwood fretless.

Any tips on that? I find if I play closer to the bridge it helps. Over the fingerboard yields maximum mwah....
  11. JOME77

JOME77

^^^ a very low setup takes it to the max in the mwah world!

Steve,
    I've got my strings practically laying on the finger board (.04 -.06 B - C) and the notes just totally jump off the fingerboard. Tremendous growl and mwah.
    It's a bit warmer if you play near the neck and for maximum bite (attack) play near the bridge.
  12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I don't have a way to measure but its low - however it was set as it left the Roscoe shop - unless Greg did anything at his place.

I like it as I will want this bass to mwah, I would just like to use it where I would normally use a fretted until my fretless gets built.
  13. Chuck M

The fretted Century 5 arrived yesterday. It had High Beams on it so I put on a set of D'Addario XL's, polished the bass and did a set up. It is fantastic! The Aguilar preamp sounds a little more focused to me than the Bartolini preamp. Tone controls are generous so there is no problem getting what I want out of this bass. Does the snarly Jaco thing and fat P bass with ease.

The fretless SKB 5 arrives today. Know I will love that one too. LOL

Chuck
  14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Chuck, I hear you. I am enjoying my fretless, waiting for the first pic of my Koa build and up pop 2 very nice Roscoe's at VERY attractive prices in the classifieds. My wife can't believe I haven't jumped on the Century Signature 5 ($2,200) with the maple top and spalted purpleheart board...

The LG 3005 for $2,000 is pretty sweet as well.

How quickly I went from "I can get by just my with my Geddy Lee" to wanting to have real quality in my hands. The Roscoe 5 string neck is a thing of beauty - to play and gaze upon...
  15. Chuck M

The fretless SKB 3005 arrived in good shape. Plugged it in and just WOW!

Could not be happier. Both basses play great and sound wonderful.

My hat is off to the folks at Roscoe. Well done!
  16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

They are turning out some outstanding basses. I can't wait for the first pic of mine. I am curious/nervous about how the top I picked will look when on an actual body.
  17. Chuck M

A little update is in order.

The Century 3005 sounded very good with the XL's on it but I did find myself wanting more growl out of the bass. I think the Aguilar preamp is a little too aggressive sounding for my taste. Was thinking of maybe changing the preamp to a Bartolini but then decided to try a set of TI flats on the bass. Just wow! It sounds perfect now. I'm no slapper so I have flats on several of my basses and this one just kills now.

The fretless SKB 3005 is a great sounding bass that came with what looked like GHS Boomers on it. I played it at church yesterday and found that it had some dead sounding places on the 1st string. I put a set of XL's on it and it sounds even better and the dead spots are gone. I think this is the very best fretless I have ever owned.....until I play my Century 3006 Fl ...then I think it is the best fretless I have owned. LOL

Anybody need a beautiful Pedulla Pentabuzz?

Chuck
  18. JOME77

JOME77

Sounds like you're in Roscoe Heaven Chuck!

I like the TI Flats on the Roscoe's too. Very nice sound.

I've tried everything on my Roscoe's and in the end I end up with the stock Roscoe Daddario XL Nickle RW.
    If I had 2 Roscoe fretless and 2 Roscoe fretted basses I'd definitely string one fretted and fretless with the TI Jazz flats.
  19. Chuck M

I would love to have another SKB or Century 3005 with the Bartolini preamp and would keep the XL's on it. Might be able to do that after I sell some stuff that will not see any use now that I have the Roscoe basses.

Chuck
  20. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Hmm, I know where you could get one of those... :D