TRADED Roscoe SKB 3006

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by a2zbassman, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a2zbassman

a2zbassman Supporting Member

Price:
    $1750
    Strings:
    Frets?:
    Yes
    For Sale Only. Something has come up and I need some cash.

[​IMG]

This is an older SKB, Serial #: 4591. I'm the second owner. It was custom made for the original owner and spec'd with Amber finish over quilt maple top with spanish cedar body, Roscoe Bart pickups and Bart preamp, and BEM fingerboard.

This bass was played, played and played some more, and in need of some TLC when I received it over 1.5 years ago. It had a few dings and chips on the front and back, and the fingerboard finish was worn off/through, leaving the maple board nearly blackened with finger oils and dirt in spots. The bridge saddle coating was worn off/through also, leaving the brass exposed.

Here are some Before and After shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The neck was cleaned and carefully taken down to the bare wood between the frets. Then sealed with polyurethane clear-coat. I then airbrushed some color onto the fingerboard. That was then sealed/covered with an ultra-tough, high-gloss, clear-coat. It's not perfect, flaws can be seen from up close, but from the distance of a couple feet and more, it is stunningly beautiful! . . . IMO anyway. :bag:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the body I filled all dings and chips with clear epoxy, then buffed them down to a smooth, glossy finish. The ones on the back I just filled with epoxy without worrying about matching color/tint. My goal was to fill them so they would not chip away and get bigger. I was also able to remove nearly all the small, not through the finish, scratches using ultra-fine sandpaper and rubbing compound. The results are a deep, wet, shinny finish.

The worn-through saddles were replace with brand-new gold ones that I bought direct from Hipshot. And I also installed a brand new Switchcraft Jack, as the old one was shorting out any time the chord got bumped.

The back of the neck had several dings as well. So, I sanded that down also and covered/sealed it with polyurethane. Initially, I found the neck to feel a bit thick and chunky, so the sanding brought the front to back thickness more into the range of my liking. I also sanded it to an asymmetrical shape, thinner under the D-G-C strings, similar to the necks on my Brubakers.

It sounds like a Roscoe should sound, and plays clean and fast with the neck reshaped. One benefit I found from sealing the neck with polyurethane is that it didn't move nearly as much this winter as it did last. And we had a long, cold winter up here this year. I tweaked the truss rod only twice all winter, where last year it needed adjusting every 2-3 weeks to keep the action nice and low.

Anyway, I figure some of you out there probably think I committed the ultimate sin by modding a Roscoe from original specs. But I love how it turned out. Maybe someone out there can look past my indiscretions and will want it. :D :cool:

The only reason I'm even considering selling is that I prefer 5 strings. I hardly ever use the C string.

Trades? None at this time thank you.

PRICE is: $1750 shipped - FIRM

At this price I'd prefer a Bank/Cashiers Check or USPO Money Order. If PayPal is your only option. We can talk.

You can check out more photos, including the body repairs and the fingerboard painting, in my Photobucket Library.

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

two questions: 35"? weight?

thanks

/rick
  3. a2zbassman

Yes, 35".

And weighs in at just a hair under 10 lbs on my bathroom scale.

Also, it comes in/with the original molded Roscoe case, which is still in good (actually great for it's age) condition.
  4. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

I'm digging that finish on the fingerboard.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. a2zbassman

Thanks Jim! It actually turned out much better than I had anticipated (not that I was expecting bad results or anything - just thought I might have to wipe off what i sprayed down 2 or 3 times and redo the color mix to get it right). The color match and fade ended up being spot on to the body color and give the neck kinda' a roasted/toasted look. Also, it is a high-gloss finish on the neck. It's very difficult to capture this in pics. Maybe I can get it out in natural lighting soon and snap a few pics, where it will show off better.

Anyway, happy Tuesday bump
  7. Dave Grossman

Dave Grossman Supporting Member

Killer bass! I have a 7-string that's very similar. Probably the best bass I own. That's a good price.
  8. a2zbassman

Bump for another price drop . . . Now at the price I paid for it, $1950. I'll take the hit on the time, materials, and all the new parts I put on/replaced.
  9. a2zbassman

Not even any offers yet for this gorgeous Roscoe. Nobody's got tax money burning a hole in their pocket? Maybe it's a sign for me to just keep it.
  10. Tewest86

Tewest86

I love it but my tax money is going the opposite way. If I didn't owe, I would be all over this.
  11. jkdortch

jkdortch Supporting Member

What kind of trade are you looking at!?
  12. jkdortch

Alien Audio Lunar 5. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1398707273.417451.jpg
    armybass likes this.
  13. jkdortch

I also have an A Designs Reddi I would trade instead. Best Bass DI!!!
  14. a2zbassman

Final price drop. I'll keep it and sell some body parts to avoid the shame and disgust I'd endure if I went any lower. So, it's at a rock bottom price of $1900 shipped . . . FIRM
  15. a2zbassman

Saturday Roscoe bump
  16. Tewest86

Tewest86

17. WilsonMusic

WilsonMusic Slap the bass, you must Supporting Member

My offer still stands
  18. a2zbassman

Roscoe SKB 3006 Deal Of The Week!!

I just brought in a few hundred on a local deal on another item, so I'm not so stressed about reaching the $1900 dollar mark. So for ONE WEEK ONLY ------
    PRICE is: $1750 shipped - FIRM

At this price I'd prefer a Bank/Cashiers Check or USPO Money Order. If PayPal is your only option. We can talk.
  19. treynegunn

treynegunn

Amazing bass!
    Bump
  20. a2zbassman

Monday Roscoe bump
  21. a2zbassman

Final 24 hours at $1750. Then back to $1900. So act fast if you've been thinking about this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.