Rosewood or Maple board with SD quarter pounder

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by og61pbass, Mar 31, 2014.

1. og61pbass

og61pbass

I recently scored a MIM P bass with SD quarter pounder pup,I want to switch necks from rosewood to maple because I really like the Black /Maple thing anyway I really like the sound of the bass the way it is,my question is will it sound different with the maple board,I know there will be some differences but with the SD pup will it be a big difference??Any experiences or knowledge would greatly be appreciated on this topic...:)

2. bobalu

bobalu

I really wouldn't worry about any sound difference, get the neck you like best so you'll enjoy playing it! IME, and I've had countless maple/rosewood Telecasters, Strats, P-bass's, Jazz bass's and Stingrays...... I can honestly say that I personally have heard no difference in sound what-so-ever. None. Tons of threads on this topic though, both yay's and nay's. :smug:

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I'd dump the quarter pounder's

4. ole Jason

ole Jason

No sound difference but they may feel different

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. og61pbass

og61pbass

Why :what:

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Ah, the old fretboard wood thread.

I predict that you will only hear the difference that you want to hear; Other factors are much bigger in tone than fretboard wood (despite all belief to the contrary). I too prefer maple fretboard, purely for aesthetics.

8. SanDiegoHarry

Yeah - why? I've always liked how those sounded. You want an aggressive P-Bass sound? SD QP are a fine choice.

9. og61pbass

og61pbass

Thanks for your feedback fellow bassists...:thumbup:

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

This.

Anyway...I discussed the whole neck issue with R&D at FMIC years ago and they say that there's no predictable difference between capped-fingerboard maple or rosewood Posiflex necks on either guitars or basses. Vintage-style one-piece maple necks can sometimes sound a bit brighter on guitars.

My forty-plus years of working on gear leads me to provisionally accept this same conclusion. I think. :meh:

This is more a guitar thing, anyway.

Capped, Posiflex necks are not resonant. Vintage one-piece necks sometimes are, but does this matter when you're gripping it for dear life when you're playing it and thereby damping any contributing vibrations? Probably not.

11. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

the last 2 weekends i saw 2 bands with bass players using quarter pounders. one was using a MIA p-bass with a maple fretboard and the other using a MIM P with a rosewood. both sounded good for the aggressive p sound, so i don't think you have anything to worry about. Duncan makes good pickups, i really like the sound of my SPB-1 and i really wanna put a JB humbucker in one of my guitars sometime

12. SanDiegoHarry

I've owned several Fenders that I put SD QPers in - I'll bet I'll do it again if I get another passive PJ (those things have pretty impressive output, so little need for a preamp!)

13. og61pbass

og61pbass

I'm really digging these responses it all makes sense too,I'll swap the necks and see what becomes of it,its no big deal can always swap them back...Thank you fellow Bassists..:bassist:

14. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

OP didn't ask about that.

15. og61pbass

og61pbass

Just for that I'm gonna rip out the original pups from my 61 and put some quarter pounders in it..:rolleyes:

16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I just got a MIM Fender P bass with SD Quarter pounder pups myself just last week. Great pickups for the bass imo. I have the rosewood neck as well, and really, it sounds great, I'm thinking a maple neck will not make it sound any differently - I played a maple neck MIM Fender P bass with the same pickup the other day at my local GC on a lark and also as I had a similar curiosity about the neck differences as well. Then again, they were played on different amps so not the best way to test this.
    Let me know what you think when you switch out the necks - pretty curious still and would be great to know your feedback on this.

17. og61pbass

og61pbass

Will do Man...:D

18. dougjwray

dougjwray

You can send those '61 pickups to me. Technology has moved on, and I'll dispose of them for you. You're welcome.
    ;)

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Stick with the SD quarter pounder. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, YOU like it.

If you switch the neck there's no guarantee you'll still like the tone of the bass. That isn't necessarily because of the change in fingerboard wood: two identical necks (or bodies, or basses) can sound different because of the variable nature of wood. But if it's not a great financial hardship, then you should go ahead and try the new neck. I'm a fan of black and maple myself (see avatar), so I understand!

20. og61pbass

og61pbass

Good one!!:sly:

21. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

There's your answer.