1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rotary switch for thicker bodies?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The EH Man, Dec 14, 2012.

1. The EH Man

The EH Man Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    I'm planning on installing a varitone with 5 caps and a bypass in my Epi EB3 and I can't seem to find a rotary switch that'll go through any of the pot holes to a point where I can put a nut on it. Other than removing some wood from the control cavity, does anyone know of a rotary switch with longer threads or a way to extend them?
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I think the tallest threaded shafts are 3/8".

I once installed a rotary switch in a Les Paul once. Because it had the aluminum box inside, I got a switch with a very long shaft, and attached the threaded part to the box. Then I got part of an old pot to use for a bushing on the top.

For basses I've had to rout that part a little thinner.
  3. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

+1

Or buy a Forstner bit the diameter of the device. But use it on a drill press or make some sort of limiter so you don't bore all the way through your bass.
  4. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    +1

You have to watch some Forstner bits too. The larger ones have saw like teeth around the outside edge.

I prefer to use routers for this kind of stuff. But Forstner bits are handy to have to. I'm just a router kind of guy. ;)
  5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

I get freaked out by the über high speed of my router.
  6. SGD Lutherie

Disclosures:
    Yeah, they are scary, but that keeps you on your toes.

Try using a jointer. That's a scary machine. I still have all my fingers. :)
  7. The EH Man

The EH Man Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    I found that a metal-bodied Alpha rotary switch had enough threads to go thru the top. I was going to use a plastic-bodied Alpha switch initially which didn't have a long enough bushing. So, problem solved and EB3 is all wired up and fun to play!